Autumn in Amherst: Five Favorite Things

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Autumn began this week.  I believe that Autumn is the season often forgotten.  Caught between the sweltering summers and the blizzarding winters, Autumn’s refuge as a good in-between season is often overlooked.  Call me “basic” but I do enjoy the little things that Autumn has to offer.  The pumpkin and apple flavored items in the stores and restaurants, wearing sweaters and fashion scarves and watching the leaves turn many different colors.  Let’s take a moment to enjoy this wonderful season, because we all know that in Amherst it won’t last very long.

The Autumn Food

GoBerry has apple cider flavored froyo?!  Pumpkin Spice Lattes at Starbucks?  Count me in!  For those of us who used to go apple picking as a kid or painted pumpkins for Halloween, these types of food bring back a warm nostalgia.  A time of innocence and child-like wonder… A happiness that occurred before you could fathom pulling all-nighters to write a paper. Oh the days…

The Clothes

The Amherst fashion style is not very adventurous in the summer or winter. When it’s hot, we wear shorts.  When it’s cold, we wear Northface.  When it’s in between, that’s when we do fashion.  I swear Fall is when the Best Dressed Jeffs page on Facebook showcases the most unique and creative styles of Amherst students. We can take the most basic accessories to create an extraordinary outfit. Finally, the northeast prep school stereotype works in our favor.

The Foliage

Oh freshman and transfers, many of you have yet to see the glory that is the freshman quad in Autumn.  Imaging the view from Memorial Hill dusted with reds and yellows and oranges and purples.  It’s a beautiful sight to wake up to every morning, even if we are usually too busy running to class to notice it.

Halloween

Autumn also meant my favorite holiday is around the corner, Halloween. ( If you’re CVS, it was around the corner in August…but details details.)  Halloween at Amherst is great.  On campus, Keefe normally has delicious treats and candy for students to enjoy as well as various activities throughout the night.  For more adventurous students looking for a scare, you can go to Northampton or Six Flags for a more horrifying experience.

The Breaks

You may hear upperclassmen complaining about the shortening of Fall Break (it’s an injustice!). However, it is still one of two breaks we get to enjoy in our first three months of the semester.  Fall Break is usually the time where students travel to neighboring cities like Boston or NYC.  The trip is great for bonding and usually creates fond memories in the future. Thanksgiving Break is when most students go home or to a place where the people are considered home.  Many students also stay on campus where Amherst has a variety of daily activities for students to partake in.  Whichever you decide, it should be relaxing because the breaks are usually well-deserved!

Carina Corbin graduated from Amherst College in 2017 and started writing for Her Campus during her first year. She was a Computer Science and Asian Languages & Civilizations double major that still loves to learn languages, write short stories, eat great food and travel. She wrote for Her Campus Amherst for four years and was Campus Correspondent for 3.5 years. She enjoyed interviewing Campus Profiles and writing content that connected with the Amherst community.