samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

From Your Internship to Class: What to Wear

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

So you’re starting your amazing new internship this semester—but what do you wear? Well, the good news is you probably already have a lot of versatile pieces that you can wear not only in class but also in the office. Check out these four pieces to get some inspiration!

Let’s start with the basics, a plain white button down. This blouse is a staple in every working girl’s closet and can easily be converted from casual to professional which is why it is perfect for college women. For campus, keep this shirt casual and add a pair of jeans and your favorite sneakers. Leave the shirt half tucked in and half out for a more ‘undone’ look. For the office, keep the shirt tucked in and add a pair of slacks and a blazer. You’re ready to work!

Dress pants are important, too. However, just because they’re a necessity doesn’t mean they have to be boring! Don’t be afraid to be bold and go with a patterned pair to make a statement. For campus, embrace your masculine side and pair a cool pair of men’s inspired trousers with a plain white tee. For the office, throw on a simple blouse to balance out the look and keep it clean and professional.

The next necessity is the blazer. Everyone needs a blazer—but the fun part is that there are so many out there to choose from. You can pick one that is unique to your taste and says something about you. Personally, I love the look of an oversized blazer because it works particularly well for a casual look. For campus, this blazer works well with jeans or black pants and a t-shirt. To finish the look, throw on a scarf to transition into colder weather! For the office, a blazer is great because it’s so versatile; pair it with dress pants, a skirt or a dress, you can’t go wrong.

Lastly, the little black dress… well not too little but you get the point. Alone, this dress is super cute for class; add a few other elements and you’re ready for the 9 to 5. For campus, to make this dress a little more casual for class, I would dress it down with a pair of white sneakers and a jean jacket. For the office, throw on that trusty blazer and a pair of black stockings and you’re office appropriate!

Converting your pieces from casual to professional is all about balance. If you wear a blouse to class, balance it out with a pair of jeans. Likewise, if you wear a more casual shirt to your internship, dress it up with a blazer and accessories. At the end of the day, it’s all about being the best version of yourself inside and out, on campus and in the office.

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4