What My Heart Wants, But My College Wallet Won’t Buy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

I’ve been at college for just over a month now and one of the phrases I’ve gotten used to hearing is, “I’m too poor to get that.” Maybe it’s the fact that American University is thousands of dollars a year, or maybe it’s the fact that college students have to pay for most of the items they buy now, but the idea of being “college poor” is very real. So maybe this doesn’t apply when it’s 2:00AM and those slices of pizza look really, really good, but when you’re 100% sober and you want those shoes, it kicks in. Over time, the list has grown with things that are so appealing, but too expensive for me to purchase.

1. Lulu Lemon Leggings. They’re cute, they’re a good source of motivation to work out, but why do they have to be $90.

2. Vineyard Vines everything. Okay, maybe this one I actually splurge on… but maybe spending $140 on a sweatshirt isn’t the best idea right now.

3. The new iPhone 6. In this age, staying updated with new technology is both necessary and extremely expensive. The iPhone 6 is slimmer and faster, which of course means better, but for $200, my iPhone 5 will do.

4. REAL FOOD. Bagels may be delicious, but Einsteins and Megabytes can only hold me over for so long. Sure a little good sushi is good here and there, but sushi everyday (like I would love) would kill my wallet. A good way I’ve learned to get around this is by getting all you can eat sushi in Van Ness at Sushi Para for just $20.

5. A massage. Yes, my mattress pad is comfy, but then again so is my queen bed at home. A nice massage to take away all of the stress-knots and worries would be a great treat, to my body… not as much to my wallet.

6. A plane ticket to my best friend. I love American and I love the friends I’ve made, but getting to take a trip away to visit my best friend, who’s 1,000 miles away, would be a dream come true. Nowadays it is an average of $300 to go that far, which isn’t exactly do-able.
7. Beats by dre. In the dorms, it can be hard to find a quiet space to just sit and listen to music. My earbuds don’t do the job of constricting all outside noise that I know Beats do. If I had $200 to spend on headphones, those would definitely be a good buy.

8. Jack Roger. Though flip flop season is fading fast, I can still wear these in the winter right? As a college student $110 for flip flops may not make them a necessity even though they’re pretty cute.

If I could buy these items, I would… but then again do I want to be more broke?

So…. Can I buy these items?

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Tulane Chapter Senior at Tulane University Majoring in Psychology, Minoring in Public Health Originally from Fort Myers, Florida