Tips to Become a Pro at Protesting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

For many students, coming to Washington, D.C. opens up a whole new world of political awareness. As an AU student committed to my ideals, I have attended quite a few protests and marches in the Washington. It’s important to take advantage of where you are in the world and stand up for what you believe in. Peoples’ lives are more than pawns in a game and pulling government support that they have relied on is unnecessary and potentially life-ruining. By rejecting green cards and preventing entrance of individuals based on nationality in sweeping gestures, the new Presidency has made quite the name for itself and not very positive at that. The controversy surrounding this issue has led to Trump firing the sitting US attorney general for her questioning the action. It is undeniable that pulling the rug out from under those looking to escape dangerous and unhealthy situations is against the better judgment of basic human decency, but I’m getting ahead of myself. If you are looking to attend a protest downtown, these are the things you need to know:

Be Prepared

As the Boyscouts and Girlscouts famously say, “always be prepared.” This is very true for marches and protests. You could be standing in one space for upwards of ten hours. That’s what it was like for the first few blocks of the Women’s March. Your feet will be sore and your legs will be tired. Be as prepared as possible within the parameters, no backpacks. A jacket with many pockets is very helpful here. You need to consider possible situations that you may be in for the protest, to be prepared for likely problems.

…But not too Prepared

Most marches and protests will try to limit backpacks in the area or will only allow clear bags. This can become complicated when you want to bring lots of stuff. I have distilled the absolute essentials to only:

Hand sanitizer (Port-a-Johns are likely your only option.)

Hand warmers (If it’s cold, you’ll appreciate this.) 

Phone (crazy busy places will lead to lots of confusion, stay up to date with possible violent protesters involved or even metro stop closings)

Phone charger (Although, your phone may not even have service)

Be Calm

There might be “Grumpy Trumpies,” as my friends and I have termed them, and they might be everywhere. They want to support their candidate and feel protesters are completely undermining the administration by protesting. Remember that it’s as simple as taking a deep breath and reminding yourself of what you believe in.

Be Passionate

Don’t go out unless you are absolutely passionate about what you’re protesting. It will be exhausting, but remembering why you came is the most important, and will fuel you through your marching and chanting.

Lastly, Have Fun!

You’re out there to spend time with other people who share the same passion and want to help change the direction of the administration. Protests are fun and full of vibrant people! Enjoy the wave of sound as it comes towards you and becomes a chant like “We will not go away, welcome to your first day!” You can bring a sign if you’d like, but it’s definitely not mandatory. The point is your presence. DC is full of people working to change the conversation because we are all about “No hate, no fear. Refugees are welcome here!” Remember “this is what democracy looks like” and enjoy your protests.

Photos: 1, 2, 34, 5 & 6