How My Experience At AU Has Opened My Eyes to the Political World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

When I was accepted into American University, I knew I was going to be at a school where politics are very important, especially being in DC during the election. However, I was very surprised to find out just how invested students and faculty are in politics. It was surprising, eye-opening, and even a little scary at points.

I was never really into politics growing up. I  was aware of what was happening with the political world, but it never interested me. I voted for Hillary Clinton because I believed in most of the things she was saying and I actually thought she could make a difference. While I didn’t cry when Donald Trump became president, I was quite disappointed about what happened. What disappointed me more was what was happening on campus. People were protesting all over DC and even all over the country and I comend them for being so passionate about what they believe in. Everyone I knew back home was especially surprised that I was going to protests to listen to what people had to say and getting politically involved with what was happening around me. I, myself, was very shocked.  

My friends and I decided to go to Trump’s inauguration even though we didn’t like that he was going to be our next president. Walking through the streets of DC felt like I was in a movie. Helicopters were constantly flying above us, the glass from the windows of stores and restaurants were shattered on the ground, the military was guarding every single street, and there was an eerie atmosphere. It felt surreal and frankly terrifying. As we were walking towards the street where Trump’s parade would be, we passed by an anti-Trump protest. People were shouting, crying, standing in silence, holding up signs, flags, pictures, and more. I was amazed about how open these people were about their opinion and how they were doing something that was hoping to make a difference. While I didn’t like Trump, I was glad I went. It was a moment in history and I will be able to say I was there. There will not be another time when I will be in DC for an election and I knew I had to take advantage of the opportunity. While we missed the inauguration, we did attend the parade and saw Trump right before our eyes. It’s crazy that the only President I’ve ever seen in person is  one I don’t like at all.

I also attended the Women’s March and to say I was left speechless was an understatement. I was surrounded by so many powerful and strong people who were marching to make a statement. I’ve never been so in awe in my life and I am so lucky to have had the opportunity to attend. I was moved and inspired by the passion surrounding me and I’ve never been to anything like it.

Before going to DC, I never would have guessed that I would be going to a President’s parade or attending a march that fought for rights. While I’m still very far from being interested in politics, I’m glad American has given me the chance to explore the political world.   

Photo Credits: 1, 2,