Does American Comply With New National Sexual Assault Prevention Measures? (Part 2)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

A few weeks ago Dean of Students Robert Hradsky held a town hall meeting for American University students and faculty on the progress of sexual assault prevention on campus. Many students left the meeting feel unsatisfied and wishing that administration had proposed some solutions, rather than just state that AU is up to code.

In summary, Dean Hradsky reiterated what most AU students already know—every incoming freshmen is “required” to complete the online AlcoholEdu modules before the school year starts. AlcoholEdu includes a Haven section that educates students on strategies and steps in risk management to reduce the possibility of sexual assault. If students genuinely complete all components of this section, it is about 20 minutes of education. One student in the audience was adamant about demanding administration to work better with Study Abroad Program in order to provide better comprehensive support to survives of sexual assault while studying abroad. The responses to these study abroad- related questions did not offer any new solutions or potential initiatives.

Below are the responses administration (A) gave to audience questions (Q). Do they leave you feeling unsatisfied too?

Q: What is your stance on required training and sexual assault prevention education for all undergraduate students at AU?

A: Currently, our only enforced education for sexual assault prevention is through AlcoholEdu, an online program incoming freshmen students have to complete.

Q: Are there any plans to extend education beyond AlcoholEdu?

A: No, not at this point. AlcoholEdu through the Haven section, addresses sexual assault prevention in a way that forces students to pay attention and read the material. We believe that one thing at the beginning of the year does an effective job identifying issues, but we definitely are open to doing more.

Q: Research shows that online education results in passive learning. Is there any reasoning behind the lack of using person-to-person interaction (when it comes to AlcoholEdu)?

A: Well, besides the Haven section of AlcoholEdu, Daniel Rappaport (Sexual Assault Prevention Educator and Coordinator) gives a presentation at every Eagle Summit session that teaches students how to be aware of sexual violence, resources available on campus, and how to practice bystander intervention. We also have the Green Dot program.

Q: How long have students participated in the Haven section of AlcoholEdu?

A: Five years. Two years ago the program was completely overhauled and redesigned.

Q: Is there any particular evaluation in place to see if Haven is actually effective and if students are retaining that information?

A: At the start of each academic year we send out a survey for freshmen to fill out about AlcoholEdu in general and the majority of students say the program has influenced them to not drink as much, and to be careful with their alcohol consumption and overall safety.

Q: Have there been any recent efforts made to make it clearer whether it is the responsibility of the Study Abroad program or the Dean of Students to address sexual assault students face while aboard?

A: This year we have worked more closely with Study Abroad to clearly define the responsibility and appropriate protocol.

Q: Have efforts been taken to make sure students who are sexually assaulted abroad can change their housing arrangements if they want to do so?

A: We make sure to look at each situation and determine what is in the best interest of the student.

Q: How can we get the Greek community more involved with advocating for sexual assault prevention and educating them on bystander intervention?

A: AU can only require 75% attendance from any one Greek organization, but we try our best to encourage Greek members to be involved. Every year we hold a new member summit for new Greek students to attend and be educated on sexual assault prevention methods and resources available on campus for survivors of assault.

At the conclusion of the town hall meeting Dean Hradsky repeated that administration is always open to new solutions and ideas for other initiatives. He encouraged students in the audience to bring their suggestions to the Dean of Students or to Daniel Rappaport in Wellness Center. In the meantime, check out the final events here at AU in celebration of Sexual Assault Awareness Month and consider signing this petition for AU to hire a Full-Time Survivors Advocate.

Photo Credits:

1, 2, 3

Emma is a sophomore at American University, majoring in Journalism and minoring in Political Science and Women's Studies. She loves to write, journal, and blog in her free time. Emma is a Communications Intern at the Center for Health and Gender Equity (CHANGE), a non-profit in DC. She is a social media editor for Her Campus American.