A D.C. History Lesson in Gifs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

We live in one of the greatest cities in the world. Here’s some things about D.C. that you don’t know, but probably should. 

1. D.C. residents actually could not vote in the presidental election until the 23rd amendment was ratified in 1961.

Selena knows what we’re talking about!

2. Both Herbert Hoover and John Quincy Adams kept aligators in the White House.

There are rumors that D.C. was built on top of a swamp, let’s hope the presidents didn’t pull their pets out of it.

3. D.C. residents drink more wine per capita than any of the 50 states!

No wonder Oliva Pope is every D.C. girl’s spirit animal.

4.  There were more members of the media at the March on Washington than an JFK’s inauguration.

Swimming in the reflecting pool outside of the Lincoln Memorial is prohibited, but it’s on everyone’s bucketlist to dip their toes in it, even if it is pretty tourist-y.

5. D.C.’s streets are lettered, but there is no “J” street. 

You might have J’s on your feet, Miley, but no J street.

6. It takes 570 gallons of paint to cover the whole White House.

We hope that doesn’t take more than one coat!

7. D.C.’s flag originates from George Washington’s family’s orignal Coat of Arms.

Shout out to Obama for knowing that retro is totally in right now!

8. The Library of Congress contails over 535 miles of bookshelves.

It’s no wonder we are the capital of the country, we’re so well read!

9. D.C. averages 39 inches of rain a year, that’s more than Seattle!

But have no fear, D.C.’s always got a pocketful of sunshine.

10. Compared to the 50 states, D.C. has the smallest differential pay gap between men and women.

The FLOTUS has got to be feeling pretty happy about this!

Obviously D.C. is the best city on the coast!

Photo Credits:

http://masconvention.org/conven2013/Venue/AllInOnePackage.aspxhttp://www…

Mikala Rempe is a sophomore at American University in Washington, D.C., originally from Omaha, Nebraska. She is a literature major with a minor in creative writing. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Mikala is on staff for the AmLit, AU’s premiere literary arts magazine. In her free time she loves to read, and cook. She spends most of her days accidentally spilling coffee on her own poetry. She hopes this isn't a metaphor.