Colin Musselman ’12

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Here at AU, some students intern, and others found student organizations. Some work on campus, and others create projects to help the DC community. And sometimes, there’s that one student who does it all…

Meet: Colin Musselman.

A transfer student from Frederick, MD, Musselman plans to graduate with a business degree in December 2012. “Transferring into AU, I had no idea I would get as much out of it as I have,” said the Kogod senior. “Just a year ago, I came here knowing absolutely no one and not being sure what I wanted to do with my life. Since then, I’ve met some of the most amazing people and have a clear idea of what I want to do … I know a lot of that is due to the school.”

He started the AU Consulting Club last fall after recognizing student interest in the field. As president, he oversees every aspect of the club, from planning meetings and creating marketing materials to working on the budget and organizing events.

“I’ve learned so much about the field, the different firms, and took on the label of being the ‘consulting club guy’ that really motivated me to work hard and eventually land an internship out of seeking validation for the title,” Musselman said. He credits his executive board for helping the club have a successful year.

What’s next for Consulting Club? “We’re looking for a healthy mix of workshops and networking events with education materials that we can post online as being published by the club.”

In addition to leading this student organization, Musselman works for the Kogod Career Center for Development (KCCD) as a Peer Consultant. He critiques resumes, conducts mock interviews and oversees the KCCD’s social media accounts. He is also actively involved with the AU Social Media Club and played a major role in planning the Social Learning Summit in March.

Musselman is also a co-founder of Organize DC, a website that presents volunteer opportunities in the DC area. “The idea spurred from our own lack of getting involved, and Chris [Droukas] has really done a lot of work on the project,” he said. “Currently, we’re getting organizations on-board to use the platform and are putting together a deck to help spread the word about Organize DC.”

With an additional internship at Carpark Records / Paw Tracks Records, Musselman is paving his way through the professional world. His best advice? “Work hard … I think the perspective I had coming into college was I knew my time here was limited, and I know I don’t want to waste a second of it.”

This summer, he will intern as a Deloitte Summer Scholar for the prestigious firm. “That will be very exciting and also keep my track record of having no free time alive,” Musselman said.

AU Favorites

Best AU memory: Winning the Deloitte case competition against other top universities (Georgetown, GWU, Princeton, Wake Forest, etc.). It was a really neat feeling to represent the school at that level.
Favorite spot on campus: The FSIT lab in Kogod is where I initially spent most of my time but now I’m liking anywhere outside since the weather is nice
Favorite place in DC: 2 Amys, Comet Ping Pong, Pete’s New Haven (See a pattern?) & 9:30 Club 

Lesley Siu graduated from American University in May 2013 with a BA in Film and Media Arts and minors in Marketing and International Business. Originally from Hawaii, she loves photography, fashion, travel, social media and everything Parisian. She has interned at GLAMOUR magazine in New York and Washington Life Magazine in DC, but her proudest accomplishment is founding Her Campus American in 2011 while interning in Melbourne, Australia. You can usually find her reading a magazine, enjoying a hazelnut latte or posting a photo on Instagram... and sometimes, all at the same time. Follow her on Twitter: @lesleysiu and visit her blog.