Announcing Women of the Year 2017 Nominations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Each year, Her Campus American University honors five exceptional women, one from each school on our campus. Our annual Women of the Year event, happening on April 21st, is our special way of celebrating each of those women and the plethora of amazing accomplishments they’ve had over the course of the academic year.

Last year, HC AU honored Tayla Wells ’16, Fifi Baleva ’17, Mary-Margaret Koch ’16, Tam Sackman ’16, and Miranda Lang ’17 for their contributions to both the AU Community and beyond.

In 2016, Tayla Wells ’16 was recognized for her outstanding roles as a Peer Ambassador in the Kogod 1955 Club, Artistic Director of Kogod Marketing Association, and an orientation leader. Like Wells, fellow 2015 Women of the Year winner Madeline Turrini ’15 was awarded for her roles at NatGeo Wild, her involvement as a general manager of ATV, and her work addressing how women are treated within the entertainment world. Once again, HC AU is looking for exceptional women from this academic term to honor.

Women of the Year demonstrate the following pillars: 

1. Great concern for social engagement within American University and local communities

2. Strong commitment to academics and application beyond the classroom

3. Willingness to share her understanding with the wider community

4. Drive to help other women by devoting time and energy to the progress of women

5. Consistently striving to be a trailblazer in the field she is most passionate about

Pictured above: Last year’s women of the year with former President Grace Cassidy and former Editor-in-Chief Ali Follman.

We ask our student body and readers to nominate any women on AU’s campus who deserve recognition of their contributions, accomplishments, outreach and more. You can find the form here, and we look forward to reading your nominations! Submit all nominations by Friday, April 7, 2017 at 11:59 pm.

Please send all inquiries to american@hercampus.com.

Photos belong to Her Campus American.

Excited, free and happy are three words Arielle would use to describe herself. Currently a senior at American University, Arielle is studying print journalism and art history. A lover of traveling, exploring and getting flat out lost, Arielle one day hopes to become a professional travel writer. When she's not writing for Her Campus, you can find her sipping on a cup of coffee, wandering through a musuem or reminiscing about London. She believes that life is always better while on a rooftop. Keep up with Arielle and her adventures on Instagram or Twitter (@okarielle), or take a look at her blog, okarielle.com. Stay happy and stay exploring.