All-Nighters Hurt More Than They Help

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

“Ugh, I literally pulled an all-nighter last night.” You’ve probably heard those words, or said them yourself, on multiple occasions. It’s no secret that your college work load can be very overwhelming at times, and that every once and a while you just need to get everything done in one shot.

Many students end up spending all night, aka pulling an all-nighter, in order to get as much as they can possibly get done in one sitting. When there’s a major test the next day, or you just really have to get that paper in by 8 a.m., staying up all night to finish your work really isn’t that big of a deal. However, if you find yourself up until all hours of the night cramming as much work in as possible almost every day of the week, then it’s time to take a well-deserved break.

All-nighters, although they may seem like the only viable option when you’re swamped with work, actually have a serious negative effect on your body. Not to mention, if you pull all-nighters regularly, those effects are even more prevalent.

If you pull an all-nighter, you’ll remember less. This Buzzfeed article mentions that your memory will not be as sharp the next day if you stay up all night. Like a battery, your brain needs time to recharge. If it doesn’t get some rest, it won’t be working at 100%. If it’s not working at 100%, then it’s likely that you’ll be more forgetful the next day.

You won’t feel too hot the next day. Obviously, this is a no brainer. No sleep = no smiling the next day. However, there is some serious science behind why you won’t be feeling in tiptop shape after you stay up all night. That same Buzzfeed article mentioned that your hypothalamus (a very important part of your brain structure), keeps the circadian clock going in every single cell in your body (think your internal clock). Staying up all night throws those circadian rhythms off balance, resulting in you feeling terrible the next day. So if you want to be on your A game, get some sleep!

Lower grades are a possibility. Believe it or not, even if you feel like cramming all night will get you that A, students who regularly stay up all night are more likely to have lower GPAs than students who give their bodies time to recharge. This Huffington Post article cites research from St. Lawrence University, which concluded that students who regularly pulled all-nighters had a GPA of 2.9, while students who didn’t rely on the tactic regularly had a GPA of 3.1. So the next time you consider spending all week in the library, think about the consequences it could have on your grades in the long run.

You are more at risk of having a stroke when you’re older. The same Huffington Post article made a very important final point. Less sleep = increased likelihood of having a stroke. The article referenced the Associated Professional Sleep Societies, which stated that healthy adults who regularly receive less than six hours of sleep are four times more likely to have a stroke. So do yourself and your body a serious favor, and get some rest. It will totally benefit you later on in life.

An all-nighter every now and again won’t hurt you, but if you rely on all-nighters regularly, then it’s time you take a nice break. If you’re feeling overwhelmed by your course load, talk to your professors about whether or not you can get an extension on your assignments, or take advantage of the countless resources on campus that can help you with time management. Do it for yourself, and make sure to get some rest!

Photo Credit: cover1, 2, 3, 4

Excited, free and happy are three words Arielle would use to describe herself. Currently a senior at American University, Arielle is studying print journalism and art history. A lover of traveling, exploring and getting flat out lost, Arielle one day hopes to become a professional travel writer. When she's not writing for Her Campus, you can find her sipping on a cup of coffee, wandering through a musuem or reminiscing about London. She believes that life is always better while on a rooftop. Keep up with Arielle and her adventures on Instagram or Twitter (@okarielle), or take a look at her blog, okarielle.com. Stay happy and stay exploring.