I’d Probably Self-Destruct if I Ever Lose, But I Never Do

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

Okay, so I’m going to bring up a touchy topic… mental health.

This is a topic that people, especially people of color, minimize and it is often downplayed in communities of POC. By definition, minimizing is downplaying [belittling] the significance of an event or emotion, and is a common strategy in dealing with feelings of guilt.

Making someone question their own sanity by manipulation is called gaslighting. It’s important that your are patient with yourself when you are going through a tough time. Tough times don’t last, and the hardships that you experience are apart of you transforming as a person. With that in mind, it’s important that you don’t judge your journey. It’s also important that you respect other people’s mental health even when you are going through something.

Sometimes it’s not others, it’s you. Recognizing your own toxic behavior is key. There will be times where you need to reflect and separate yourself from others. We may not always realize the damage that we can do to those around us as a result of our own inner issues. It’s okay to take breaks from social media. It’s okay to mute your notifications for self care. It’s okay to block people for self care. You are not required to argue with that person that is antagonizing you.

Everyone has the right to want to be alone, and you are not required to give people an explanation on why you want to be by yourself. Isolating yourself sometimes can help someone else because your indecisiveness while learning who you are and what you want can emotionally ruin someone else. So be kind and patient to yourself and others, even if all of the women in you are tired. Mental illness is real and Black and Brown minds matter too. Be unapologetically you and celebrate your growth because you’re always progressing, you’re still breathing, still magical, and still woman… broken crayons still color.

Here are some helpful resources.  Share with a friend, and remember that you are never alone.

Suicide Prevention: 800-273-8255

Mental Health Hotline: 866-677-5924

Center Against Sexual Assault: 866-373-8300

National Alliance on Mental Health: 800-950-6264

National Sexual Assault: 800-656-4673

Hi my name is Khi. I'm a sophomore at the University at Albany with a double major in English and Latin American Caribbean Studies (LACS). I'm just living my best life and writing about experiences as they happen.
N/A