A Tuscaloosa Guide to Gift Giving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Tis the season and you know what that means. It’s time to get shopping! (Okay, so that’s not the point of the holiday season, but let’s indulge a little here.) For most Alabama girls, Tuscaloosa is our temporary home. However, the shopping rush doesn’t wait for finals to end. It’s in full swing right now. Here are some of the best gifts Tuscaloosa has to offer for everyone on your list this year. The best part? They are all local.

For the Sweet Tooth

There is something about baked goods that creates an instant feeling of home and comfort. In the end, isn’t that what the holidays are all about? My favorite area bakeries are Mary’s Cakes and Pastries located in Northport and Sweets Cupcakes and Cakes in downtown Tuscaloosa. From tarts to cupcakes, all of these treats are like little pieces of art and the flavors offered are anything but boring. An early gift from these bakeries is an inexpensive way to show your friends you care.  Mary’s Cakes and Pastries is located at 412 B 22nd Ave. Northport, Alabama 35476. 

Sweet Cupcakes and Cakes is located at 601 Greensboro Ave. Tuscaloosa, AL 35401.

[pagebreak]

For the Crafter

Every family has at least one resident knitting/crochet/needlepoint aficionado. If this sounds familiar, you need to visit Serendipity Needleworks in Tuscaloosa. This colorful store is chock full of beautiful yarn and other crafter-friendly products. These products can be expensive so your mother, aunt, grandmother or whoever will be thrilled to get “the good stuff.” I recommend Lorna’s Laces Crimson Pride wool in Shepard’s Bulky. This is a blended wool of gray, crimson and white. It’s a color combination that is completely unique to Serendipity Needleworks and it’s only $25. Serendipity Needleworks is located at 412 Queen City Avenue Tuscaloosa, AL 35401.

[pagebreak]

For the Sports Fan

There is no denying it. Tuscaloosa knows sports. If your family has been to an Alabama football game and has enjoyed it, why not get them tickets to a basketball game or gymnastics meet? Rolltide.com is already ready for the holiday season and has special deals on ticket packages for spring sports.

For the Theater Lover

Tuscaloosa’s theater community is buzzing in 2013. Theater tickets are something that people generally like having, but don’t necessarily buying for themselves so treat your friends, sorority sisters or whoever to a night of theater. Each company has a full schedule, but I am highlighting my “must-sees” that come up early in the season.

1. The University of Alabama Opera Theatre: The Mikado by Gilbert and Sullivan (March 1-3). Tickets
  2. University of Alabama Department of Theatre and Dance: Othello by William Shakespeare (February 18 – 24). Tickets
  3. The Actor’s Charitable Theatre: 9 to 5 the Musical, Music by Dolly Parton and book by Patricia Resnick. Tickets
  4. Theatre Tuscaloosa: Ain’t Misbehavin’ Conceived by Richard Maltby, Jr. and Murray Horwitz with musical adaptations, orchestrations & arrangements by Luther Henderson (February 8 – 17). Tickets

For the Giver

Unwrapping a beautifully wrapped package can be fun, but something even more fulfilling is knowing you made a difference. One of the most important gifts this season is the gift of charity and you can make any gift in a loved one’s name. There are so many worthwhile and important causes out there. It can be intimidating to narrow them down. Here are a couple of Tuscaloosa organizations that could use a little love this December.

1. Rebuild Tuscaloosa
  2. TTown Paws: Her Campus Alabama’s philanthropy
  3. Nick’s Kids: Nick and Terry Saban helping children

Photo Sources:

Mary’s Cakes and Pastries

Sweet’s Cupcakes

Serendipity Needleworks

Hi there, I'm Lauren. I write & I sing opera, musical theatre & country music - just not at the same time. I live my life in pink, navy and copious amounts of glitter. Roll tide!
Alabama Contributor