Sabrina Gerlich

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Name: Sabrina Gerlich

Hometown: Lynchburg, VA

Major: Human Development & Family Studies, Child Life Concentration; Biology minor; Pre-med

Relationship status: In a relationship

Favorite movie/TV show/book/band: TV show – Game of Thrones 

What clubs are you involved in? “Crimson Kindness, Association of Child Life, Honors Year One, Honors College and College of Human Environmental Sciences Ambassadors, and AED”

What is your favorite part about your major? “I love getting to work with children in the classes at the Children’s Program. It’s so much fun planning class activities and just playing with them! We also have the best advisors around.”

What has been the best class you have taken at UA so far? “Art to Life with Dr. Potts!!! We did art therapy with dementia patients, and it was incredible. If you need an Honors Writing course, I highly recommend.”

What is the best part about being in Chi O? “We are all so different and yet that’s what unifies us so well. If there is anything I need or there is something that I want to get involved with, I know that I’ll be able to find a someone who will gladly help.”

What is the most rewarding part about being in Crimson Kindness? “Everything. The members of CK are wonderful and truly are some of the kindest people around campus! And the little things we do, like awkwardly holding posters on the quad, make a big difference – just seeing one person smile makes it all worth it.”

What is the cutest thing your boyfriend has ever done for you? “Gosh there are too many! One year for Valentine’s Day, he surprised me by decorating his backyard with lights and had a bonfire ready, then played a song he wrote for me on the guitar. He likes doing random surprises, like bringing me my favorite kind of cupcake if I have a big test or sending me care packages when I was studying for the MCAT. He’s a good one.”

Describe your dream date. “Something active and fun, like going hiking or even just taking a walk through a park or scenic area – something that shows what he likes to do. And there definitely has to be food involved, so maybe a cute picnic or a nice dinner. If he cooked for me that would be even better!”

What do you like to do in your free time? “Definitely exercise – going to the gym, running, or swimming but I also love to bake! So they cancel each other out nicely.”

What do you think is your best quality? “I like to think it’s helping people to feel welcome and loved – especially in new or uncomfortable situations!”

What’s the best advice you have ever gotten? “Life’s too short to care what other people think.”

Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.