People First

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Name of organization: People First of UA

Organization type: Advocacy and Awareness

What is the objective of your organization? The objective of this organization is to facilitate opportunities to learn how to self-advocate for individuals who have disabilities. It also provides an opportunity to get everyone involved, disability or not, in advocacy of those with disabilities. We strive to raise awareness about issues faced by individuals with disabilities.

What events do you plan to hold this semester/what is your next event? Our first meeting will be held on March 28, 2017 in Bibb Graves Hall at 11:00-11:30. Our other event for this semester is a week dedicated to teaching about differentdisabilities and how to advocate or self-advocate for them.

How can others get involved in your organization? Others can get involved by joining as a member to People First of UA by emailing peoplefirstua@gmail.com.

What is your favorite part about your organization?

Rebecca Norton, Vice President: “My favorite part of People First of UA would have to be the opportunity to teach advocacy and self-advocacy to all individuals. When it comes to self-advocacy for an individual with a disability, it means knowing their own daily challenges and what it will take to change societies view about disabilities. When you try to teach the process of advocacy to an individual without a disability, you change the way he/she views the entire world around them to be centered around how it negatively affects and ostracizes individuals with disabilities. This is the change we need to facilitate in the world and we’re so grateful to have the opportunity to change the way UA thinks about disabilities.”

Rachel Smith, Treasurer/Event Planner: “My favorite part of People First of UA is creating a space for all individuals with disabilities to feel welcome and that their voices are heard. It is more than organization that promotes self-advocacy; it's about building a community based upon the pillars of opportunity, awareness, and diversity. My hopes for this organization is for it to become a vital function in UA's movement to further embrace diversity on campus.”

Jamaica Cooper, President: “My favorite part about People First of UA is being able to experience the impact that it is making. I do anything I can to make sure that the officers and members know how much of an impact we truly have on the community. We take pride in helping one another learn to embrace who we are. It is about creating a space where members can express themselves and be given the opportunity to help the community better understand self-advocacy and diversity. My hopes for this organization is that it continues to be a leading example on campus.”

Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.