Jordan LaPorta

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Name: Jordan LaPorta 

Hometown: Hoover, Ala. 

Major: History and Political Science 

Relationship status: In a relationship

Favorite Book: Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy 

Favorite place to study on campus: First floor of Gorgas Library 

Favorite place to eat in Tuscaloosa: Avenue Pub 

What are you involved in at UA? Mock Trial Association (president), Pre-law Student Association (President), The Crimson White (News Editor)

What’s your favorite part about your majors? “The best thing about the humanities is the subjectivity of it. There are few other majors where you can openly disagree with source material and not be clearly wrong. I love having the ability to synthesize large amounts of information, and being able to come up with my own counter-arguments against the prevailing wisdom.”

What do you love most about politics? “It’s funny, because despite my involvement in politics, I don’t really care for it much. In fact, I don’t care for it at all. I involve myself in politics because I want to reduce the role it plays in people’s lives. Being a control freak, most people assume that I would be the type of person who’d want to manage things in government, but it’s actually the reverse. Because of my need for control, I want to be able to manage myself and allow others to do the same.”

What’s the best class you’ve taken at UA? History of the Conservative Intellectual Movement with Dr. George Hawley (PSC 321)  

Who is your celebrity crush? Alison Brie 

Describe myself in three words: Outspoken, intellectual, contrarian

What do you like to do in your free time? “I’m a huge sports fan – football especially. When I can’t make it to games in-person, I love to sit down with some friends and watch the best games on television.”

What do you think is your best quality? “My work ethic.”

The best advice I’ve ever gotten: “My grandfather told me when I was younger that there will always be people that are smarter and more talented out there. But only I can determine if there is someone else out there who works harder.”

Where I see myself in five years: “Hopefully in five years, I will have successfully graduated law school and working in a nice firm. I want to do some political commentary on the side if I have time, as I have done that throughout my time in undergrad.”

Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.