How to Survive Fall/Winter with Natural Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

The summer months are gone. It’s time to swap out your bright colors for those warmer, natural tones and you can finally take out your Uggs from the back of your closet! Additionally, not only is the weather cooler, but the air is a lot more dry than what we’ve been used to. If you’re a naturalista who is worried about styling your hair for these harsh couple of months, take a look at these tips to guide you towards an easy, breezy, and successful styling journey.

• Be sure to moisturize your hair regularly.

Using the LCO (Leave-in-conditioner, Cream, Oil) or to some, LOC method will greatly enhance the overall quality of your hair if you do this regularly. It is especially essential for this time of year since your hair is bound to lose more moisture than usual. Depending on your hair type, choose how often to moisture it. The key is the thickness/curl pattern of your hair: the thicker/kinkier your hair is, the more often it needs to be moisturized. Kinky patterns may need to be moisturized every day. More loose patterns can probably wait out for days at a time. Experiment the frequency of moisturizing your hair to see what works best for you!

• Wear your hair in protective styles often, if not most, of the time.

This is still stemming from the fact that your hair will lose so much moisture! Wearing your hair out (as in not braided or twisted up or pushed back) will allow the cold air to push through your hair follicles and take away all its nutrients. Below are a couple of protective styles I wear often. After taking my hair down a couple of days later, I can still feel the moisture from the products I used, which means my hair is nice and healthy!

• Wear a weave/sew-in

This option is perfect considering your hair is also more prone to breakage. Having your hair in these styles will prevent you from manipulating your hair as much due to regular styling.

• Be sure to wrap your hair up at night.

There’s no reason to even go through the process of rejuvenating your hair if it’s all going to come out while you’re sleeping. If you’re like most people and you sleep on a cotton pillow, wrapping your hair will protect it from breaking off and drying up. Remember to wrap your hair up in a satin scarf/bonnet to ensure the best protection from hair breakage and loss of moisture.

• Consider wearing a hat or hood when you go outside.

Makes sense right? All the cold air hitting your hair is bound to cause problems. Cover it up just before you step outside so that all those good nutrients can stay on your hair.

The fact of the matter is, you can do all of this and your hair still may look like a bird’s nest by the end of the week. Deep condition your hair at least every two weeks. Doing this will revitalize those dead looking strands and will have them looking as fresh as ever.

Hopefully, you’ve gained some more insight on how to keep your hair happy and healthy during these next couple of months!

Thumbnail

MeaResea is an alumna of Agnes Scott College where she majored in Economics and minored in Spanish. She recharted the HCASC chapter in the fall semester of 2016. She served as the Editor-in-Chief and President of Her Campus at Agnes Scott. Her favorite quote and words that she lives by are, "She believed she could, so she did." -Unknown http://meareseahomer.agnesscott.org/