7 Reasons Why Having a Part Time Job in School is Worth It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

If you’re an incoming college freshmen,  or even a college student thinking about getting a job, and you just need a push to start that application, then I hope you will find these 7 reasons helpful when making your decision.

1. You develop better time management skills

If you spend a good chunk of time scrolling through your Insta feed, or even sending snaps to your friends, you obviously need some assistance that will help you start your work before 8 p.m. each day. Knowing you are scheduled to work a couple of hours after class may encourage you to at least outline the paper that’s due in two weeks. Also, if you’re anything like me, you don’t want to come back to your dorm after a long day of work to an unfinished list of assignments! Additionally, employers like seeing that you can handle multiple things at a time. If you can hold down a part-time job, while keeping a good GPA as a full-time student, and still be a part of a few organizations on campus, you’ve got it in the bag!

2. You get PAID

What else is there to say? No more being broke. You spend the money YOU earn, and you learn how to budget the money you earn as well. Oh, and it may be a good idea to save your money as well.

3. You interact with and learn from more experienced people

You have most likely gone to school with people who you have many similarities with, especially age-related. Well, in the “real world,” your interactions are not limited to your age group. You’ll be working with people with years of experience, whom you can, and definitely should, learn from. This may even result in a more mature-like attitude in your everyday life.

4. You get to use your leadership skills

Already had an awesome internship before you started college (or a few)? Or maybe you were the president of a school organization, so you’re used to leading a group of people. Well, that works out perfectly, because now you can use those skills on the job!

5. You can build connections early on

Excelling in your workplace can get you more than a gold star and a pat on the back. After working in your position for some time, your manager may be able to introduce you to another, and maybe even better, position after graduation!

6. You can potentially use what you learn in the classroom on your job

A lot of the courses I took in high school were just fillers that the school board rquired me to take to certify my diploma. Though, I am happy to say that one of my college courses is already helping me on the job–my Spanish class. I’ve been able to complete numerous transactions since I was able to communicate with Spanish-native speakers. The job you get, especially if it is related to your major, could do the same for you!

7. You gain independence

Financially, and self-related. Paying your own expenses make you a boss. Driving yourself, or commuting, to work on your own makes you a boss.

I hope you’re feeling a little more confident than before about whether or not to start your job application. If you do decide to do it, get out those slacks and make it happen!

*Disclaimers

• Make sure you can handle it! A part-time job while in school is not for everyone, and that’s okay! Go with what you can handle.

• If you do decide to get one, make sure your availability works with your schedule. If you’re a full time student, you may need to only work no more than 15 hours a week. If you are part time, you can definitely work more hours.

• This is also not implying that you can’t gain real-world skills from campus organizations/clubs. You definitely can!

• If you do get a job, get one that you like or one that is related to your field of study. Working is definitely serious business, but you don’t want to be serious and miserable. As cliche as it sounds, try to find a job you won’t mind working for little, to no, pay!
MeaResea is an alumna of Agnes Scott College where she majored in Economics and minored in Spanish. She recharted the HCASC chapter in the fall semester of 2016. She served as the Editor-in-Chief and President of Her Campus at Agnes Scott. Her favorite quote and words that she lives by are, "She believed she could, so she did." -Unknown http://meareseahomer.agnesscott.org/