HIS CAMPUS – Beer: Not Just For Boys

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Beer: Not Just for Boys

Okay, so I know what you’re thinking. Stop being so sexist, we all know beer’s not just for boys! Get off your high horse and come have a pint with the girls! Okay, yes I know. The idea that watery hops and fermented wheat juice is just for the men of the world is a ridiculous assumption. But I think it’s a misconception worth talking about.

I will admit that it can take some getting used too. Not all boys will tell you this but I’m going to take one for the team and let you in on a secret. I used to hate it beer, and a lot of other guys did too. When I was young beer was not for me, it was not nice and I did not like it. No matter how many times my dad insisted that I put the cider down and try a few jars, a few scoops, a few Britney Spears, I never listened. It took time to enjoy, it took a few years of working on it, many months of tiny sips and countless days of screwing my face up like a baby licking a lemon (have you guys seen a baby licking a lemon? If you haven’t please YouTube it, it’s quite frankly wonderful) before the lightning bolt hit and my taste buds roared at my brain: “BEER IS GOOD AND YOU SHOULD DRINK IT EVERY DAY!” (I’ve been told by the women of Her Campus that Her Campus does not, openly, condone drinking everyday. It is bad for you apparently. Who knew?)

So if you just don’t like beer, that’s okay, you can stop reading now and head on over to see who the Campus Celeb is this week, I wont be offended. But please bookmark this article because in a few years I promise you that will change, one day you will wake up loving it and life will never be the same again. Trust me.

I’ve read that beer is one of the healthiest drinks you can consume (coming in just behind red wine) yet the more health conscious sex still seems to ignore it on the menu. But why? The complaint I’ve heard on many an occasion is “I don’t know what’s nice” or “I’m scared to order one”. Why are you scared? I can guarantee most of the men on campus, when coming face to face with a young woman casually sipping a craft beer in a bar would immediately text his flat mate “the search is over. Found BAE”. (I hated writing that sentence; can we all agree to put BAE to bed please? It’s done now, it was fun for a while but it’s getting tired and I’m fed up of listening to it).

The girl that drinks beers with the boys is a mythical and beautiful creature to most of us, heard about only in forgotten tales from your brothers’ friend’s friend who once knew a girl who drank beer and was so hot that she never paid for one. Okay I made that story up but you get the picture, as weird as it sounds beer is sexy.

Now you know the secret that we love it when you drink beer, I can hear your next question. Where do I get some? Well dutiful reader I will tell you. There are several wonderful watering holes right here in our fair city but one is a cut above the rest.

Nestled between Schoolhill and the Morrisons car park (exact address below), this Aberdeen gem is a delight for all your senses and the perfect place to start your career as a beer drinker. With hundreds of bottles to choose from, ever changing cheaper options on draft and friendly staff who are happy to recommend a drink to you based on your tastes in general and if you are totally lost even let you have a cheeky (free) taste of a few beers before buying, 6 Degrees is a true Aberdonian treasure. All of that plus it does some fantastic sharing platters and your very own Her Campus editor Rhona Taylor has often proclaimed it to be “[her] favourite bar”. What more recommendation do you need?!

The atmosphere is relaxed and with high ceilings, great lighting and perfectly minimalist plywood tables even the most gentile among you can feel safely rustic for an evening. As far as fashion at 6 degrees goes, the dress code falls somewhere between “who cares” and “everyone in here looks clean”. It’s what I would call the definition of relaxed. A place where all can feel welcome and content, this place is the place for you no matter who you are.

So no more excuses novice beer drinkers! Spend your Saturday night in 6 Degrees and discover the new love of your life. Beer.

6 Degrees North

6 Littlejohn StreetAberdeen, AB10 1FF 01224 379 192

http://www.sixdnorth.co.uk/

Currently a 3rd year undergraduate at the University of Aberdeen studying English Literature. And the President and Editor in Chief of Her Campus Aberdeen.