If you’ve ever tried to Google “Valentine’s Day quotes” to find something heartfelt to write inside of a card, then you know that most of the cheesy lines a search engine spits at you about “true love” are gag-worthy. Here are a few sweet nothings you can scribble in a love letter to your valentine that won’t make him or her feel incredibly awkward.
If you're "just talking"
You’re not dating yet, so you don’t want to come on too strong—use one of these cheesy pick-up lines to make your valentine smile.
1. “If you were a Transformer, you’d be Optimus FINE.”
2. “On a scale of one to 10, I’d give you a nine—and I’m the one you need!”
3. “Are you a banana? Because I find you a-peel-ing.”
4. “If I could rearrange the alphabet, I’d put U and I together.”
5. “Are you a kleptomaniac? Because you just stole my heart.”
6. “Good thing I brought my library card, because I’m checkin’ you out.”
7. “If you were on paper, you’d be what they call ‘fine print!’”
8. “Do you have a Band-Aid? Because I skinned my knee when I fell for you.”
If you’re dating
You're together, and you're not seeing other people. You’re having a great time together, and you care about each other a lot—but you haven’t said the “L” word yet. Stick to these lines to show him or her how you feel without saying more than you mean to.
9. “You should be kissed, and often, by someone who knows how.” –Gone with the Wind
10. “A kiss is a lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech when words become superfluous.” –Ingrid Bergman (Put this on the front of a card, then on the inside write, “Writing anything in here would be superfluous.”)
11. “You have bewitched me, body and soul.” –Mr. Darcy, Pride & Prejudice
12. “Your lips are like wine, and I want to get drunk.” –William Shakespeare
13. “i carry your heart with me (i carry it in my heart)” –E.E. Cummings
14. “The best thing to hold onto in life is each other.” –Audrey Hepburn
15. “Yours are the sweetest eyes I’ve ever seen.” –Sir Elton John
16. “I belong with you and you belong with me—you’re my sweetheart.” –The Lumineers
17. “Maybe I think you’re cute and funny. Maybe I wanna do what bunnies do with you, if you know what I mean.” –Ingrid Michaelson
18. “You are a work of art.” –Morrissey
19. “You, just like heaven.” –The Cure
If you're in love
Your relationship is solid, and you’ve exchanged "I love you's." Here’s how to tell your sweetie just how in love with him or her you are!
20. “Love me tender; love me sweet. Never let me go.” –Elvis
21. “I love you more than I could ever promise because you take me the way I am.” –Ingrid Michaelson
22. “I never knew that I could love someone the way that I love you.” –Ben Rector
23. “Your love is better than chocolate. Better than anything else that I’ve tried.” –Sarah McLachlan
24. “You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.” –Pride and Prejudice
25. “Home is wherever I’m with you.” –Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
26. “There are not enough days in forever to allow me to fully express the depth of my love for you.” –Steve Maraboli
27. “Love is a many splendored thing. Love lifts us up where we belong. All you need is love!” –Moulin Rouge