There are so many little things that can negatively affect your relationship with your boyfriend. From a busy schedule to a packed social calendar, there’s no telling what speed bumps you’ll encounter along the way. However, sometimes there are relationship dilemmas that you can see coming. What do you do then? How do you prepare for them so that you can save your relationship? Her Campus has the answers!
You Have a Super Busy Upcoming Schedule
There are always certain periods of time that seem to be busier than others – right before any breaks from school, finals week, recruitment, midterms, etc. And sometimes that craziness becomes extended. Maybe you’re taking the max amount of credit hours possible next semester while also starting a part-time job and juggling an internship. Whatever the case, you’re going to be busy, and you know that your relationship will suffer because of it. So what’s a girl to do?
- Plan Ahead: It sounds lame, but putting together a detailed calendar (down to each half hour) will really help you manage your time. Plan out when you’ll be able to see your boyfriend.
- Make Him Aware: Don’t just suddenly start being incredibly busy, or he will be upset. Let him know as soon as you know that you’re going to have a crazy schedule so it’s going to be tough to see each other as often as you’re used to.
- Make Him Feel Special: By showing him how much you care about him in the weeks that you still have free time, he will be more comfortable with seeing you less.
- Plan Something Really Special: Pick a weekend night or a day you can take off from your responsibilities, and plan something really fun for the two of you. Go to a concert, have a picnic, get a hotel room for the night and swim in the pool… whatever it is, make sure it’s something you can both look forward to.
He Has A Super Close Girl Friend
It’s only natural for your boyfriend to have friends that aren’t you. Yeah, it’s not fun when they’re girls, but you have to accept it. Except… there’s one girl in particular you really have a problem with. Maybe she’s always liked him, or they’re super close, or she’s just too flirty for your liking. You know that a major blowup is coming, and you don’t want to drive your boyfriend away by banning him from seeing his friend. So what’s a girl to do?
- Let Him Know: It’s not fair if you passive-aggressively get upset every time he spends time with her so tell him that you’re uncomfortable with their relationship.
- Tell Him You Trust Him: So long as this is true, you should tell him that you trust him, you just don’t want to share him with anyone else and you feel like that’s what’s happening.
- Plan a Group Hangout: Plan a time when the three of you (or more) can all get together so you can start to establish a relationship with her and feel comfortable with her spending time with your boyfriend.
- Grab Coffee With Her: This doesn’t have to be weird – ask if she wants to meet up for coffee or something equally low-key after class one day. If she seems confused, explain that since your boyfriend is so close to her, you figured you should get to know her, too!
You’re About To Be Apart For An Extended Period of Time
There are plenty of reasons why you and your boyfriend may be apart for an extended period of time. It’s possible that you’re from different hometowns and will head home on breaks, you have an internship in a different city during the summer, you’re studying abroad, etc. The only good part about being long-distance is that you can plan for it – you know it’s coming! So what’s a girl to do?
- Set Up Skype Accounts: If you don’t have one already, now is the perfect time to create a Skype account so you can video chat with your boyfriend while the two of you are apart.
- Update Your Cell Phone Plans: Make sure that you have enough minutes, texts and possibly international calling so that you can stay in touch with each other while you’re apart.
- Plan a Trip: If possible, plan a time to see each other while you’re apart so that each of you has something to look forward to.
- Make a Scrapbook: Put together a book of photos and memories for your boyfriend so that he has something to look at every time he misses you, which will be all the time!