We at HC know a little something about spring break… and we’re counting down the days until we can ditch the stress of school, rock beachy waves and sip on strawberry daiquiris with our bums in the sand with our best collegiette friends.
But first, packing. This can be a daunting task, especially when our even our favorite professors are cramming every last test, quiz and essay into the days right before break. Thankfully, we’ve mastered the mission of packing for the ultimate spring break trip and we’re here to help!
Tip: Use an oversized shopper beach bag as your handbag/carry-on for traveling to your spring break destination. Whether you’re going by car, bus or plane, you’ll want to keep these items easily accessible.
- Ticket(s) (for traveling and any events you’re attending)
- Cell phone
- ID (if you’re staying within the U.S., use your driver’s license, or if you’re traveling abroad, bring your passport!)
- Sunglasses—we recommend this ultra cool pair of rimless aviators!
- Wallet (keep some cash on you in case you run into any issues with your cards)
- Reusable water bottle (make sure it’s empty if you’re going through airport security!)
- Antibacterial gel
- A bikini and cover-up (in case your luggage gets delayed!)
Tip: Don’t bring your whole medicine cabinet with you! Stick to the necessities to save space and go for that effortless, surfer-chick lifestyle this week! If you’re traveling by plane, remember TSA’s 3-1-1 rule: any liquids, gels, creams, pastes, and aerosols must be in 3.4 ounce bottles or tubes in 1 quart-sized, clear plastic zip-top bag, and you’re only allowed one bag per person.
- Face wash
- Sunscreen (even if you’re not in the direct sunlight, sunscreen is absolutely necessary to protect your skin)
- Moisturizer (try something with aloe in case you get a sunburn!)
- Travel-sized shampoo, conditioner and soap
- Dry shampoo
- Makeup (go for waterproof eye makeup)
- Advil (never underestimate the power of a hangover…)
- Brush (especially a compact kind that’s super portable)
- Hair dryer/straightener/curling iron (coordinate with your friends to have each of you bring one of these tools so you can pack as lightly as possible!)
- Hair ties
- Bobby Pins
- First Aid Kit (better safe than sorry!)
- Feminine hygiene products
Tip: Bring separates that you can mix and match, and keep it casual! Stick to a basic color scheme with only one or two statement pieces.
- 3 to 5 swimsuits (ASOS has the coolest selection of edgy bikinis and bright one-piece suits)
- 3 tank tops and/or tees (we can’t get enough of this embroidered off-the-shoulder top!)
- 3 going-out tops (play up some bold necklines, shimmery sequin show-stoppers, and embellished details for a good variety)
- Sweatshirt or sweater (in case the beach gets chilly, this vibrant hoodie will keep you warm)
- 2 going-out bottoms (white skinny jeans and a bohemian pant sound good to us!)
- 2 pairs of shorts (don’t forget your daisy dukes!)
- Your favorite pair of jeans
- 2 to 3 cover-ups or casual dresses to throw on over your swimsuit (you can’t go wrong with a tribal print chiffon or an Adidas T-Shirt dress)
- 1 nicer dress for going out (like this sequin cami stunner!)
- Sandals (hello beach goddess with these ASOS espadrilles)
- Sneakers and socks (try a fun print like these floral flatforms)
- PJs (this palm tree pajama set looks so comfy!)
- Sweats (lace-up joggers work when you still want to look good chillin’ with no makeup on)
- Leggings (for days when you just want to stay comfortable and still look fierce)
- Underwear and bras (at least one set for every day you’re there, plus 1 to 2 extra)
- Basic, cheap jewelry you can wear with multiple outfits
- 1 cross-body bag for going out (we love this colorful purse that will complement any outfit!)
- Beach towel
- Disposable camera (so you don’t have to worry about your phone or nice camera getting sandy or wet!)
- Chargers (get a cheap portable phone charger for long days at the beach or while you’re en route)
- A good beach read (ignite your wanderlust with The Backpacker’s Survival Guide!)
- Beach hat large enough to shield your from the sun
- Koozies (May you always have a cool—and cute!—drink in your hand)
- Mini emergency/first aid kit
- Zip-lock bag or waterproof pouch for your wet swimsuit
There’s nothing worse than getting to your destination, unpacking your bag… and then realizing you’ve forgotten to bring your toothbrush, favorite bikini or (everybody’s biggest nightmare), your phone charger. Check off every item on this list—and you’ll be set to have the greatest spring break ever!