They’re juicy, they’re pink, and they’re sweet. Sprinkle some sugar on top and you might just have this collegiette’s favorite healthy snack. I am talking about grapefruit of course and what better time to express my love for the delectable fruit than during National Grapefruit Month! Grapefruit is healthy, delicious, and versatile, so why shouldn't an entire month be dedicated to the tangy and sweet fruit?
Let’s start with the many health benefits of incorporating grapefruit into your diet. CalorieCount.com’s Director of Nutrition, Rachel Berman, RD, was kind enough to share six amazing benefits of noshing on grapefruit with Her Campus.
1. A Healthy, Satisfying Snack: Grapefruit is a high-fiber, low-calorie snack that will leave you feeling fuller longer.
2. High in Healthy Minerals: Grapefruit is extremely high in Vitamin C and potassium, helping you ward off any winter illness.
3. Full of Antioxidants: There is an extremely high level of antioxidants found in grapefruit, which can help reduce cholesterol and promote glowing, healthy skin.
4. Lowers Risk of Diseases: Both red and pink grapefruit contain a high amount of lycopene – an antioxidant that can help lower the risk of cancer and heart disease. In fact, it is the same antioxidant found in ketchup!
5. Breaks Down Toxins: Grapefruit juice is highly effective in supporting liver detoxification as it increases the activity of liver enzymes.
6. Immune System Boost: Have you ever heard of pectin? If not, it is a complex carbohydrate containing antibacterial properties that help to support a healthy immune system. Grapefruit is full of pectin, which means your immune system will become a professional fighter when it comes to fending off unwanted germs and viruses.
While most people equate grapefruit with breakfast, the fruit can easily be incorporated into meals throughout the day. Think salads, sauces, syrups, and even healthy desserts. Check out some of these great grapefruit recipes at CalorieCount.com for culinary inspiration. Try them out, spread the health to your friends, and let us know how it goes! You will surely become a grapefruit connoisseur and improve your well-being at the same time!
Mango Banana and Grapefruit Salad: An excellent addition to a traditional fruit salad, try chopping a grapefruit and mixing it with your favorite fruits.
Avocado and Grapefruit Salad: A tasty and healthy salad that can be easily prepared ahead of time and packed for lunch.
Grilled Grapefruit with Ginger-Mint Syrup: A fresh and delicious dessert that is easy to prepare and guaranteed to impress your friends.
Green and White Asparagus Salad with Citrus Confit: Elevate your salad with this delicious recipe featuring sweet grapefruit slices.
Rachel Berman, RD, CalorieCount.com's Director of Nutrition