Rather than give you another article about how amazing it is to be single on Valentine’s Day and in college, we thought we could supply all the single ladies with a few activities (and distractions) to do this V-day. Hanging out with your best girlfriends is a special and irreplaceable kind of fun that you could never experience with a guy, so rally some friends and have the best single Valentine’s day of your life with Her Campus’s top ten lists.
Top Ten Movies to Watch on Valentine’s Day
No, this is not another list telling you to watch The Notebook, Pride & Prejudice, and When Harry Met Sally on Valentine’s Day. Nothing says girl power like Lucy Liu’s leather pants in Charlie’s Angels and that scene when Mulan makes it to the top of the pole before all the boys. But don’t shun all romantic comedies – for example, a movie like 500 Days of Summer that doesn’t end with a happy couple is a nice dose of realism for a day that’s drenched in unattainable sappy perfection.
- The Sweetest Thing
- Sex and the City
- Thelma and Louise
- Mystic Pizza
- Charlie’s Angels
- Erin Brockovich
- 500 Days of Summer
- Romy & Michelle’s High School Reunion
Top Ten Drinks to Make on Valentine’s Day
Can you think of anything better to do on a single Valentine’s Day than make yummy drinks with your girlfriends? No, we didn’t think so – even if it is on a Monday this year.
1. Watermelon Martini
3 oz. Ketel One Citroen
1 oz. Watermelon Pucker
½ oz. Cointreau or triple sec
Splash of pink lemonade
Splash of 7-Up
2. Espresso Martini
Shot of espresso
½ oz. Three Olives Chocolate Vodka
½ oz. Godiva Dark Chocolate Liqueur
¼ oz. Amaretto
¼ oz. Kahlua
Splash of Baileys
1 oz. Cointreau
3 oz. Cranberry Juice
1.5 oz vodka
1 oz. Lemon Juice
4. Death by Chocolate
2 scoops of chocolate ice cream
1 oz. Kahlua
1 oz dark crème de cacao
1 oz vodka
Whipped cream topping (try Cream [http://givemecream.com/whipped/])
Drizzle chocolate syrup
5. Sex on the Beach
1 oz vodka
¾ oz peach schnapps
6. Strawberry Kiss
1.5 oz. Absolute Vanilla
1.2 oz. Strawberry liqueur
Splash of CranPineapple Juice
7. The Bramble
2 oz. Absolut Los Angeles
1 oz. simple syrup
1 oz. lemon juice
1 spoonful of blackberry jam
Splash of sparkling wine
Blackberries for garnish
8. Black Crush
1.5 oz. Absolut Raspberri
1 oz. sour mix
½ oz simple syrup
6 mint leaves
(Strain into a glass)
9. Cherry Punch
1 oz. cherry vodka
1 oz. triple sec
Splash of grenadine
Splash of cranberry juice
10. Virgin Strawberry Daiquiri
1.5 cups of frozen strawberries
1.5 oz of Sprite / 7up
1 cup of ice cubes
10 ounce can of strawberry daiquiri concentrate
Blend all ingredients in a blender!
Top Ten Songs to Listen to on Valentine’s Day to Feel Amazing Being Single
Blast the volume and sing all the words to these party anthems that will make you feel amazing being single.
1. Beyonce “Single Ladies”
2. Willow Smith “Whip My Hair”
3. Nicki Minaj “I’m the Best”
4. Britney Spears ft. Ying Yang Twins “I’ve Got that Boom Boom”
5. Alice Deejey “Better off Alone”
6. TI ft Rihanna “Live Your Life”
7. Christina Aguilera ft Lil Kim “Can’t Hold Us Down”
8. Destiny’s Child “Independent Women”
9. Ke$ha “Sleazy”
10. Sheryl Crow “All I Wanna Do”
Top Ten Songs to Listen to on Valentine’s to Get Over Your Ex
If your single Valentine’s Day came as a surprise this year, we promise listening to these songs will make you get over your ex faster than all those drinks you just made.
1. Lady Gaga “Monster”
2. Britney Spears “Womanizer”
3. Ben Folds Five “Song for the Dumped”
4. Christina Aguilera “Underappreciated”
5. Dan Black “Yours”
6. Kelly Clarkson “Since U Been Gone”
7. La Roux “I’m Not Your Toy”
8. Mariah Carey ft Jay Z “Heartbreaker”
9. Robyn “Don’t F****g Tell Me What to Do”
10. Pink “So What?”
Top Ten Gifts to Buy for Yourself on Valentine’s Day
Might as well utilize all those sales and buy yourself something pretty. Or something relaxing. Or something that vibrates.
- Bubble bath beads and bath oil
- A facial and deep tissue massage at your local spa
- A vibrator
- Nicki Minaj’s Pink Friday Album
- Sexy and slightly ridiculous lingerie you have never felt the need to buy
- Download Mac Miller’s free KIDS mix tape if you haven’t already and watch a few of his music videos. Fantasizing about a 19-year-old boy with an adorable smile and sweet rhymes is a perfect V-day gift.
- A scented candle
- Makeup you have been pining for
Top Ten Single Girl Activities for Surviving Valentine’s Day
- Peruse the groan-inducing blog Awful First Dates, where women share their very worst dating experiences. Be thankful you’re not one of them.
- Spend all the time you want getting ready, grab your single friends, and hit dance floors, bowling lanes, and karaoke bars. Literally no chance of feeling lost in coupledom in these locations.
- Stare at your pores through a highly magnified mirror (a la Charlotte in “Sex and the City”).
- Host your own get-together in your apartment or dorm room; it will keep you occupied and you can swing whatever you’d like. All your single friends will thank you.
- Be cheerful because the best part of a relationship is undoubtedly the honeymoon, “You like vanilla ice cream? I LOVE vanilla ice cream!” euphoria-trip beginning. The best is yet to come!
- Pretend it’s not Valentine’s Day.
- Throw a Loverville-themed White Elephant fiesta. Ask friends to all pick up a cheap, cheesy Valentine’s gift (teddy bear, pair of edible panties, carnations, etc.), wrap them, and let White Elephant ensue. Tons of laughter and high spirits later, everyone will go home with a valentine.
- Determine your celebrity crush, rent all of his movies, and spend the night swooning over your own personal eye candy.
- Two words: Craigslist Personals. You can’t feel bad about yourself after reading those.
- Call up a grandparent, an aunt, a sibling, whoever and wish them a happy V-day. Do it every year and you’ll never get caught without a valentine.
Top Eleven (bonus!) Single Girl’s Eye Candy on Valentine’s Day
1. David Beckham
2. Alex Pettyfer
3. Ed Westwick
4. Boris Kodjoe
5. Rafael Nadal
6. Taio Cruz
7. Darren Criss
8. Giggy the Pom
9. Diego Gonzalez
10. Hayden Christensen
11. Matt Bomer