Hello again, collegiettes! I am SO sorry for not blogging on Thursday. I spent the day driving back home from college and getting settled in/hanging out with family (woo!). Since being back I’ve reached a bit of a dilemma, however. Without my apartment gym or campus Rec Center to go to, how’s a girl supposed to get a good workout? Well don’t fret, friends. I’ve come up with a few ways to keep active without a gym membership:
- Utilize SELF’s Drop 10 strength training and HIIT exercises – duh! The strength training workouts can be done anywhere (I’ll be rocking out in the living room…), so go buy hand weights if you don’t already have some and get to work! And so what if you don’t have a treadmill. The outdoor HIIT workouts can be done in you neighborhood or a nearby track!
- Walk, jog or run outside. You can go running just about anywhere, so there’s no excuse not to do it! In high school I use to power walk around my neighborhood as soon as I got home from school, and I found that sticking to a daily routine really helps to keep motivated. Try working out at the same time everyday for 30 minutes to an hour and I promise you’ll get hooked!
- Use an exercise video. For the days you can’t get outside (or just don’t want to) pop in an exercise DVD. Workout videos are great because there’s a little something for everyone: yoga, aerobic dance, kickboxing, Pilates, etc. Take your pick!
- Go for a swim. Swimming is the ultimate summer activity and probably my favorite way to exercise. Break up your swimming workout into intervals by varying your pace, resting time and number of laps to burn the most calories!
- Ride your bike. Bike a few miles around your neighborhood or head over to a local trail or park with friends or family! It’s an easy (and fun!) way to stay active.
- Play a sport. Family football games? Check! One of the most fun ways you can burn calories this summer is by getting outside and playing with your family. Baseball, kickball, ultimate Frisbee, whatever makes you happy. It’s nice to remember that working hard can still be enjoyable!
So you see, ladies, working out sans gym isn’t so hard after all. In fact, it gives you a chance to get out there and try new things!
If you haven’t already, don’t forget to sign up for Round 2 of the “Lose the Freshman 15” challenge on DietBet. Everyone who won during Round 1 nearly doubled their earnings, which totally makes it worth it!
Good luck with working out this weekend and I’ll talk to you all soon!