Happy Tuesday, collegiettes! Over the next week I’ll be blogging about my “Lose the Freshman 15” adventures from New York – SO EXCITING! I am absolutely pumped to be going to NYC, but one thing I know that’s going to be a challenge is eating out every meal during my trip. Eighteen meals, y’all… yikes! It’s unrealistic (and sometimes not possible) to cook every meal during vacation, so here are my top five tips for maintaining SELF’s Drop 10 diet on-the-go:
- Drink water. This one’s easy – pass on the sugary drinks like sweetened teas and soda and save the calories for your meal!
- Skip the freebies. I’m a sucker for restaurants with complimentary bread (or chips and salsa, peanuts, etc…) to enjoy while you wait, but endless freebies often lead to overeating. Tell the waiter/waitress not to bring any to the table to avoid temptation. Or, if you must, limit yourself to only a piece/handful!
- Customize your order. Feel free to make changes to the menu to fit your needs. Ask for items to be grilled instead of fried, request dressings and sauces on the side, and opt for healthier side items like steamed vegetables instead of French fries or chips.
- Think about your super foods. Sure, you may not be able to use all of SELF’s Drop 10 recipes while on vacation, but you can still utilize super foods at a restaurant! Eggs, yogurt, apples, olive oil, steak and lentils (prepared in fresh/healthy ways) all aid in weight loss, so be on the lookout!
- Ask for a to-go box. If you know your entrée is going to be large enough for two, ask for a to-go box immediately. By splitting the meal in half right away you’ll be less tempted to overindulge.
Here’s hoping that I follow my own advice over the next week! With Round 2 of the “Lose the Freshman 15” challenge underway, I sure as heck do not need any setbacks. And if you haven’t already, join me and the other bloggers as we finish our journey by signing up on DietBet!
Until next time, ladies!