This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Youngstown chapter.

The YSU Book Club is a brand new, inclusive community of students that share a love for reading. The group meets on the first Wednesday of every month to discuss a variety of different genres of books which are chosen based on what is most popular among group members. In addition to a book of the month, the club also holds two social events every month to allow students to get to know the other members. President Alexa Kurimski started the group because she was, “looking to join a book club, but couldn’t find one on campus.” With the help of her friend Bella and fellow group member Bri, she decided to create a group herself. Kurimski feels that this group is important because she wanted a judgement-free space for those who love to read as much as she does, and where everyone feels comfortable to share their opinion. In Kurimski’s opinion, she did not feel that YSU currently had the type of space that she was hoping for. Kurimski also stated, “I have been a part of groups in the past where I felt isolated and awkward, and it was awful. There is nothing more upsetting to me than joining a group for something you’re interested in, but not feeling connected to the members.” Kurimski is working to make it her mission as President to ensure that every member feels as though they are included.

When starting the club, she expected there to be a turnout of about 10 students, but was blown away to find that there are over 40, with students asking to join each week. She hopes to see it grow even further in the coming semesters.

Kurimski’s advice about clubs on campus is to start somewhere. If you want to start a club of your own, she urges you to reach out to your surrounding resources, such as friends, family, and other campus club Presidents, too. Kurimski states, “it can be hard to commit yourself completely to a club when we are all so busy, but being the president of a club, you can design it however you want.” She also urges you to at least attend one meeting if you are unsure about joining a new club as you never know if you might meet your future best friends there.

Asking Kurimski which book has impacted her the most, she stated, “The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth,” as this nonfiction book goes heavy into “detail about the growth mindset, and teaches you how to never stop growing throughout your life. It is a must read.” Another nice quality about reading is that, at times, a book is turned into a movie or a series, which is taking place with the club’s book of the month, “One of Us is Lying.” This book was assigned in September, and will be discussed in early November. This gives students enough time to read through it while allowing time for work or classes. Kurimski notes that anyone who wishes to join can reach out to her via email at arkurmiski@student.ysu.edu.

Allyson Carnahan

Youngstown '22

Allyson Carnahan is a 22 year old Advertising and Public Relations student on Youngstown State University's campus. Allyson is the social media chair for YSU's advertising club, and she is a member of the YSU soccer club, book club, and YSU's chapter of Her Campus. She enjoys reading books and articles, traveling to new places, spending time indoors watching television with her cats and boyfriend, and spending time at the park with her dogs and her family. If Allyson could give another person a piece of advice, she would say that what you are going through currently could be an important step leading you to where you wish to be.