Girl Laughing With Beanie
Girl Laughing With Beanie
Arianna Tucker / Her Campus
Style > Decor

Why Are People Obsessed With Squishmallows?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Youngstown chapter.

Do you have an unhealthy obsession with Squishmallows? I know I do for sure. But what is it about them that just draws us in?

For me, it is so many things. I think first is just how cute they are. The phenomenon of wanting to squish things that are cute is really common so having an outlet to do that is super helpful. They make ones small enough to even clip to your backpack, so being able to take the squish with you is super fun. Also, the diversity in creature and design are wide enough that there is something for everyone to love and find cute. The styles and such are so unique that it makes them all feel different and their own. So every Squishmallow feels like it is an individual, just like us as humans are. This gives them a familiar and relatable feeling that people crave; and on the lines of them all being so unique, it brings out the collector in a lot of people, myself included. I see one that I have never seen before and I feel like I absolutely need it. Another big reason I feel like is one’s inner child. Mine is drawn to anything cute, bright, and squishy; the perfect target of Squishmallows. I really like allowing myself to feel the comfort I get from Squishmallows and from being surrounded by them. It allows me to be vulnerable with myself while feeling safe in myself.

While there are a lot of silly reasons that people are obsessed with Squishmallows, I feel like all of the reasons are also very valid. No matter what anyone says, keep on loving your squishies.

Hello! I am a senior Forensic Science student YSU. I am excited to be writing!