This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Youngstown chapter.

I’m sure you’ve heard the cliché “one man’s trash is another man’s treasure.” Christmastime is here, and let’s all admit: we’re a little low on money. The pandemic has made finances even tighter this year, but we still want to give gifts to our loved ones as a token of our appreciation. While searching for deals is always exhilarating, we often forget about an easy, low-cost method of gift-giving: re-gifting.

Gift giving – a worldwide tradition – encompasses all sorts of holidays and occasions. Pre-dating established civilization, it may be one of the oldest activities of mankind’s affection for one another. Across cultures, people exchange gifts of all kinds. Giving is fun but it certainly has its challenges. For starters, finding the perfect gift is hard as some people are especially difficult to shop for. Like I said above, sometimes our bank accounts can’t handle purchasing brand new items for each person on our list. Sometimes we simply run out of time for shopping and need something quick yet thoughtful for a get together. No matter the reason, the act of re-gifting can help alleviate holiday stress and anxiety.

Lucie Liz via Pexels

While this concept causes some people to feel guilty or lazy, others may experience success and satisfaction. In 2014, a national survey conducted by American Express found that three-fourths of Americans consider re-gifting perfectly acceptable. Consumer Reports led a follow-up survey the following year and found that one-fifth of American adults re-gift regularly. Despite the amount of people that confess to this behavior, it still has a tarnished reputation. These two older studies, among many others, beg the question: “but why?” Why not give someone a gift that you don’t need yet you know someone else will use? Why hang on to something that’s just going to collect dust in your house when you could make someone’s day? Our social stigma against this act forces people to hold on to items they neither need nor want. You may not have a use for it, but you know someone else will. Gifts should flow to their most efficient uses. If you’re considering re-gifting this holiday season, heed the following ground rules:

1. Only re-gift brand new items. Do NOT give someone your junk. No one wants an old or used item. If you don’t want it because of its quality, the recipient you have in mind probably won’t either. Make the gift make sense. If the item is tacky, cheap, or totally lame, just dispose of it.
  2. Remove signs of re-gifting. Even if the tag has long been removed, the packaging should remain intact. This should go without saying, but throw away old gift receipts or gift bags with someone else’s name on them. Double check for personal notes written specifically for you with that item. Wrap it up nicely to make everything appear brand-spanking new.
  3. Ensure the original giver and new receiver won’t cross paths. Never re-gift within your immediate family or immediate friend group. Keep track of who initially gave you the item and who would’ve been around when you opened it. If you can’t remember who gave you the gift, do not re-gift it.
  4. Consider this a form of recycling. It’s truly an act of reducing waste. If you don’t have a specific person in mind for a particular gift, consider donating the item to a charity or shelter for someone who is not used to receiving tangible blessings during the holiday season.
  5. Utilize these as smaller gifts. Re-gifted items can especially come in handy for White Elephant exchanges. They can also be excellent for small thank you gifts or “just because” presents throughout the year.
  6. Know when to stop. Do not – I repeat: do NOT – re-gift items just to have a gift for someone. Gifts should always be personally selected and well-chosen for their recipient. If no one immediately comes to mind, do not randomly give it out.
  7. Do not re-gift meaningful items. If someone invested a lot of time, energy, effort, or money on something for you, do not frivolously give it to someone else. Don’t give heirlooms away. Don’t give monogrammed or signed items away.
  8. Be honest. If you get caught in the act, just own up to it. Sure, it may be embarrassing, but do not deliberately lie. Explain why you re-gifted the item and apologize if necessary.

If you’re still hesitant to try this form of giving this year, don’t worry! Re-gifting certainly isn’t for everyone. I wish you the very best in your holiday shopping endeavors!

Hannah Shively

Youngstown '22

Hannah Shively is a senior pursuing her bachelor's degree in instrumental music education from the Dana School of Music at Youngstown State University. She's very passionate about a lot of things: Jesus, music, coffee, fruit snacks, dogs, the cello, and being barefoot. She adores traveling, especially to the beach. You can often find her hanging out with friends, making music, eating delicious food, and going on new adventures.