Career > Work

Is A Work Life Balance Really Possible?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Youngstown chapter.

Work life balance. Everyone has heard all about it and how to make it a reality. So, is it really possible to have a good work life balance? The short answer is probably. But the real answer is very complicated.

First, we need to look at what it really means to have a work life balance. A work life balance is when a person manages the responsibilities of their work as well as the responsibilities of their personal life. Work can be your job, school, or both. Your life is everything else: family obligations, social obligations, self care, etc. With so much to manage, can you really do it all?

It is possible to do it all and do it well. It takes practice and time but it can be done.
Before we get into how to have a good work life balance, we need to discuss how the balance can be disrupted. Things like working more hours, getting more work responsibilities, getting more home responsibilities, health issues, change in social obligations, and more are all common examples of things that disrupt the balance. 

There are many things that you can do to make your work life balance better. The first is, when possible, decrease your obligations. Obviously that is not very feasible in most situations so other options would need to be explored. Something else that can be done is to make sure you set clear boundaries. Making sure your work knows of and respects obligations you have is important. As well as letting people in your personal life know of any work/school obligations you have is also important. Learning to take breaks is also a great way to keep a balance. Whether it’s during work or personal time taking breaks, even short ones, for you to gather yourself and evaluate things is super important to remain grounded. Learning to say no to things is also a very important way to make a work life balance better. This helps you make sure you stay within your limit for responsibilities. Finally, the tip that I think is the most important, and sometimes most challenging, to maintaining a work life balance is asking for help. I personally struggle to ask for help. It makes me feel weak and small but the reality is everyone needs help. We teach children to ask for help when they need it so why does that stop once we get older? Everyone needs help sometimes and it is okay to ask for that help. You will be better off in the end for it!

I am currently having a hard time maintaining a work life balance. I work as a lead teacher at a daycare and will be assuming the position of assistant director after I graduate. I also am in school full time majoring in forensic science. Those two things alone might make people go crazy. But I also have made myself make time for social events such as clubs and just generally going out to be social. I have a lot of family obligations as well. So with my full plate people always ask me how I manage it all. Well, the answer is not very well. I do it all but many important aspects of my life suffer. But it is a work in progress! The feeling of constant exhaustion is a struggle. But things are getting better as I am starting to implement these tips into my life.

It is important to remember that a good work life balance is always changing and evolving. It is a never ending cycle that we need to reevaluate and keep up with. Do not be discouraged if it isn’t where you want it to be right now. You can always make changes and do better for yourself!

Hello! I am a senior Forensic Science student YSU. I am excited to be writing!