Sun and clouds
Sun and clouds
Original photo by Hannah Shively

How to Deal with Bad Sunburn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Youngstown chapter.

I am notorious for poorly applying sunscreen and/or forgetting to apply it altogether.  This bad habit has unfortunately forced me to have to deal with incredibly bad sunburns every summer and fall.  While this unfortunate and uncomfortable occurrence can quickly ruin beach vacations, summer sports seasons, and home football games, there’s no need to stay inside for 3-7 days until you’re completely healed.  Through years of research and experience, I’ve discovered the five best pain-relief methods to help soothe burning skin:

Drink lots of water.  In an attempt to provide moisture and relief, sunburn draws all the water in your body to the skin’s surface.  Because of our body’s automatic response to burns, it’s important to drink extra water to help prevent dehydration.  It is recommended while recovering from bad sunburns to drink an additional 4-6 cups of water each day.

Pop a pain reliever.  These can help reduce uncomfortable sensations such as pain, swelling, and tingling.  When taken regularly, pain relievers can also help reduce potential fevers due to the general rising of our body temperature.

Take a cold bath.  I don’t have to tell you that hot water makes sunburns burn.  Cool baths and showers can help provide immediate relief to the pain, as well as reduce redness.  As soon as you exit the tub or shower, make sure to gently pat yourself dry.  Leave a little bit of water, and immediately apply aloe or lotion.  This quick application can help trap moisture in the skin, which the body desperately craves when healing from sunburn.

Apply blue aloe.  Aloe is an incredibly common pain relief utilized for sunburns, insect bites, and poison ivy exposure.  Blue Aloe contains lidocaine which is an anesthetic that can quickly relieve pain.  Because this can numb the affected area, don’t apply aloe with lidocaine more than 3 times a day.  This can severely dry out your skin, and could also cause flu-like symptoms such as headaches, chills, and fevers.

Wear comfortable, protective clothing.  If you choose to venture outdoors in direct sunlight, make sure to wear comfortable yet tightly woven clothing to protect the affected areas.  An excellent way to check the thread count on articles of clothing is by holding the fabric up to a bright light source.  You should not see any light coming through if the threads are tightly woven.  If you see a decent amount of light shining through, consider wearing another shirt or pair of pants that provides better coverage from the sun.  An excellent investment worth researching is UPF clothing.

Remember: although sunburns are temporary, these burns are a result of an excess of exposure to the sun’s harsh ultraviolet waves.  This can cause long-term damage to our skin, increasing our risk for skin cancer.  Make sure to protect your skin whenever you’re out in the sun for a prolonged period of time.  Get into the habit of applying sunscreen to your face every single day whether or not it’s visibly sunny.  Consider investing in a CC cream or concealer that contains SPF.

Hannah Shively

Youngstown '22

Hannah Shively is a senior pursuing her bachelor's degree in instrumental music education from the Dana School of Music at Youngstown State University. She's very passionate about a lot of things: Jesus, music, coffee, fruit snacks, dogs, the cello, and being barefoot. She adores traveling, especially to the beach. You can often find her hanging out with friends, making music, eating delicious food, and going on new adventures.