This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Youngstown chapter.

Something that I used to struggle with immensely was being independent. Navigating through my 20’s, and more deeply – my college years, independence has been difficult for me. Although I pay for a majority of my finances myself, I wish someone would have told me how to do things the right way. The scary truth is that no one really knows what they are doing. I have talked to some of the wisest people, asking for advice, and no one knows all of the right answers on how to navigate through this crazy life. What I have learned and what I feel everyone should know, is that: “Taking one day at a time is a beautiful thing that life has to offer.” At 21 years old, I just now realized that tomorrow really is not promised. Therefore, focus on today, let tomorrow be there, and let the past go.

I am sure that many people have heard the spiel ‘it is easier said than done’. Taking one day at a time is the spiel I am talking about. I have spent so much time worrying about how to be independent and how to take care of myself without asking for help. Stop worrying and start doing. If I complain about my worries every day for the rest of my life, what kind of way of life is that? There is no success unless there is pain.

Therefore, I have learned to work for everything that I have ever wanted. Am I doing everything the right way? I do not know the answer to that, no one does. Worry is one of the worst things to carry with you, so let it go. It is okay to ask for help, but in order to claim independence, work for it. Take life by the horns and do what makes you happy.

Mariana Rizzo

Youngstown '23

Hello! My name is Mariana Rizzo. Everyone calls me Mari for short. I am a third-year, Early Childhood Education Major at YSU. I work outside of school along with spending time with close friends and studying. I am super excited to partner with HC this year. I believe that I am able to put out advice that all girls will love to follow. Go guins!