This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Youngstown chapter.

Welcome to campus!  Congratulations on your accomplishments thus far.  All of your achievements – both great and small – have brought you to your current position.  No matter your goals and pursued degree path, you’re about to commence an exciting adventure.  Know that you’re about to be challenged like you never have been before.  Know that you’re about to grow more in a day than you have in an entire year.  Know that you’re about to make a multitude of mistakes, but you’ll also acquire a multitude of memories in the process.

After my freshman year, I compiled a reflective list of advice to offer to first year students someday.  Today is that day!  Here are several tidbits from an older sister who has walked the road you are currently on:

DON’T

1. Don’t only hang out with fellow first year students.  Babies can’t teach babies.  Branch out from your dorm and classes to befriend upper classmen.  Get to know older and wiser students on your campus because there are tons of fun people to meet and cool hidden gems to find.  These connections may come in handy someday! 
  2. Don’t use Google for research.  I’ve heard it said that Googling topic ideas is like searching for a diamond at a garage sale: you may find one, but it’s incredibly rare and may take you a while to sift through a bunch of junk.  Search engines such as Google, Bing, and Yahoo are often full of junk.  If you want to find a great topic idea or locate solid resources, visit your school’s library page to get connected with books, databases, and live representatives.
  3. Don’t compare everything to high school.  Remember: high school is over.  The game is going to switch.  It’s okay to wear old t-shirts from high school marching band to lounge around in, but start to collect new merch and accessories from your new school.  Realize that you have a clean slate if you want it!
  4. Don’t fear your professors.  Get to know your faculty and make connections early.  Introduce yourself on your first day of class with them and attend all the office hours you can.  Add friendly greetings when you email assignments or ask late night questions before a due date.  Here’s another tip:  if a professor asks you a question in class and you don’t know the answer, just say you don’t know.  Trust me.
  5. Don’t forget about your family.  Call them regularly and keep them posted regarding your experience.  These conversations don’t need to be super long (although I definitely spoke with my mom at least two hours a week during my first year).  Simple gestures like a picture or text can mean the world to those who love you.  Know that home-sickness is very real and incredibly relatable. 
  6. Don’t get into drugs.  It’s so not worth it.  Know that this isn’t the peak of your life; you have decades of quality time remaining.  The decisions you make now will affect your mind, body, and soul.  Take care of yourself so you can keep living a long and happy life post-graduation.  Honestly, chicken nuggets are better anyways.  #nugsnotdrugs

DO

1. Take advantage of early opportunities.  Take due dates and registration times seriously.  Take advantage of early opportunities when they come your way.  Remember that you’re an adult now, so you should act like one.  Take ownership of your own education.  Keep a planner and follow each day closely.  If you’re granted moments of free time, use those hours to knock out some upcoming assignments early.
  2. Ask people for help.  Never feel ashamed to ask where to find a class or where to use your meal swipes.  If one student responds disrespectfully, simply find another friendly face.  There are always colleagues on your campus willing to lend a helping hand.
  3. Spend your money wisely.  Don’t blow it all on food and stupid outfits that you’re only going to wear once.  To help save money, look for bargains on anything and everything.  Get into the habit of flashing your student ID at local businesses in the event that they offer discounts.  Don’t buy textbooks without researching deals through Amazon, Half Priced Books, and Chegg.  Some schools may even price match like YSU!
  4.  Go club hopping.  Find organizations that you’re interested in through organizational fairs.  Know that there’s no pressure to sign up for everything all at once!  Take some time to figure out what you like.  Don’t hesitate to take risks, as well; now is the perfect time to explore.  Just be aware of your time.  Don’t spread yourself thin by being over-involved, but don’t stay put in your dorm doing nothing. 
  5.  Pay attention to what you’re consuming.  If you eat dorm food, you’ll look like dorm food.  Even when the pace of the semester speeds up and you can’t sit down at the dining hall for dinner every evening, make sure to eat healthily and consume plenty of water.  Remember your fruits and vegetables. 
  6.  Enjoy every moment.  While four years may seem like a long time, I promise: your undergraduate career will fly by faster than you can blink.  Constantly remind yourself that this time is never coming back again.  Don’t miss out on quality time with your new friends and professors.  Some day, you will miss today.
Hannah Shively

Youngstown '22

Hannah Shively is a senior pursuing her bachelor's degree in instrumental music education from the Dana School of Music at Youngstown State University. She's very passionate about a lot of things: Jesus, music, coffee, fruit snacks, dogs, the cello, and being barefoot. She adores traveling, especially to the beach. You can often find her hanging out with friends, making music, eating delicious food, and going on new adventures.