sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Devilish Dressing Dilemmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York chapter.

As quoted in Mean Girls, ‘Halloween is the one night of the year where a girl can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything’

It used to be simple trick or treating and bobbing for apples, but now that we’re older we face pressure as to how raunchy our outfits are. Any Halloween shop will have the typical, ‘sexy witch’ or ‘sexy nurse’ costumes, but how do we feel about this? Should we do the Cady Heron Zombie Bride look, or the Regina George playboy bunny? Whatever it is about the night of Halloween, a club become a crazy place, but is it wrong for girls to feel pressured to make any costume into a man’s fantasy?

Halloween need not be a night that you feel pressured into wearing lingerie and bunny ears, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t feel good! With the release of The Great Gatsby, freshen up with a 20s flapper or grab a dress, pour some blood on it and you are zombie bride-ified. Also girls, lets be honest, we all love the Halloween characters for boys – the ruffled up zombie look, the ‘dead army man’ or simply a man in uniform…

It may seem daunting for any first years who might be experiencing their first Halloween night out and are unsure of what to wear. Unlike films portray, there can be a middle ground in outfits. You don’t need to be either the really awkward teenager dressed as an olive (Angus Thongs and Perfect Snogging) or the French maid. Wear what makes you feel comfortable. It’s an excuse to be a bit risqué with your costume but also have a laugh with fake blood and face paint. Head to town and just go crazy with your outfit, its only here once a year!