Woah, We’re Halfway There

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

It’s incredible how time flies; it feels like just moments ago I was sitting in my first ever classroom, trembling as I worried if I could be able to hear the professor, see the PowerPoint slides past the tall students in front of me, and take my notes quickly enough. For a painfully shy homeschooler, beginning university and going to school for the first time was absolutely terrifying- I honestly didn’t know if I had the skills and ability to make it in an academic setting where my mother, strict but determined to see her children well-educated, wasn’t my teacher. I worried for so long that I wouldn’t fit in, that people would see HOMESCHOOLER written all over me and decide I didn’t belong or that I wasn’t a real student, so I put all my energy and time into proving that I could do well and that I did belong here.

(Actual photo of First Year Stephanie)

Now, in my third year, I truly feel at home here at York. I haven’t always done well; I’ve received my fair share of low test marks, but I stuck it out and made a home for myself in the Writing Department. Originally I couldn’t wait to graduate and begin working, but as I begin my upper years I realize I’m not quite ready to stop being a student. I want to learn so much more.

I never thought I would be saying this, but I’m actually seriously thinking about graduate school. With multiple college certificates, a minor, and a graduate program that all appeal to me, I’m really sad there’s only so much time and money I can give to learning. I don’t know what avenue I’ll go down once my time at York is done, but I know there’s more learning I have to do before I settle down and into a career.

Realizing my education isn’t done and once again I have to be accepted into a program and actually succeed in that program reminds me of that terrifying first day at York. While this isn’t my first year at a school, it feels like its own first year, full of its own pressures to do well and prove to myself and others that I am worthy.

It’s only the first week and I’m already feeling the heat! But I know that whatever happens this year, I need to make sure I have time to breathe and enjoy attending school where I am surrounded by incredible friends and a faculty that works hard to help their students achieve their goals. It may be a very weird and very difficult year, but armed with Pringles and YFS freebies, I know I can make it count.

Here’s to all of you, Yorkies! Whether it’s your first or last year, or you’re somewhere in between, stay determined, enjoy your first week back, and don’t forget to pick up freebies whenever you can! Seriously, YFS freebies are the best.

Image Source(s): http://www.thethings.com/these-15-animals-wearing-backpacks-are-so-cute-they-just-might-make-you-cry/

Hey! I'm Stephanie Wilcox, and I am a professional writing major here at York U! I spend most of my time playing piano or ukulele and crying over books and boybands. I'm currently studying Korean as an elective, and I hope to do plenty of travelling after I graduate. I believe in fighting for a better, safer, and more equal future, especially through words and writing. This is my third year at York University, and I am thrilled to begin writing with Her Campus this year as a CC and seeing the impact we will be making here!