Top 5 Resolution Fails

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

New Year, new me, right? Not necessarily. Here are top 5 resolutions that are more likely to fail than not.

5. Quitting smoking.

Attempting to quit smoking is harder than it seems. Nicotine patches, vapes, and other methods seem like a good transition to go cold turkey, but that’s just television. You make a list of all the reasons why you want to stop but that all seems irrelevant when the stress, that is called life, keeps knocking on your door.

4. Changing spending habits.

So you’ve made some economical mistakes by purchasing the new iPhone, the latest Yeezy’s, and let’s not forget the hover board (that seriously should change its name because that’s false advertising). Also, let’s not forget the off-season when you’re on winter or summer break and friends want to go out every single night. This year, you promise yourself you’ll be smarter about your money and save up, so you can be a responsible adult. That’s before the next chic item hits the malls and then you transform into Lil Wayne, throwing wads of money that you don’t really have.

3. Be more outgoing.

We all want to be that one ideal person who can casually speak to strangers without hesitation but it’s easier said than done. We make spontaneous plans to go to parties because it can segue into interaction amongst other humans, meaning our generation won’t be a lost cause of mole people and hermits. However, once we arrive at the party, we fall into the same routine, which is to sip on whichever beer, motion back and forward (dance), and interact with people we already know.

2. Stop procrastinating.

Last semester wasn’t so good and the midterms/finals haunted your break. The reasonable thing to do is break out of this cycle that is procrastination and fitting a semester’s worth of readings in one night (which is what you keep telling yourself after each mediocre semester). You make a To Do List so it can help track your progress and you promise yourself that you’ll keep going to the library. Then comes February and you’re back into the cycle of binge watching Netflix shows, reading endless Buzzfeed articles, you go to the library occasionally but Netflix gets the best of you even there. And that To Do List, well that’s gone with the motivation.

1. Losing Weight

During the summer you may have lost weight, but then the Fire Nation (school) attacked. School brings in endless studying which causes inevitable stress and to some, that stress equals casual snacking. School gets the best of us so we forget to exercise and this snacking leads to the development of unnecessary weight. Besides snacking, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and the winter break itself is when your grandmother makes you into a plump dumpling. We see the muffin tops (also lovingly known as love handles) forming which tells us that we may need to hit the gym in the coming year. We set ourselves with a gym membership and become the annual influx of one-timers that hit the gym only for the month of January.

Know any methods to break out from this vicious cycle and actually accomplish these New Year’s Resolutions? Leave them in the comment section below!