Pass the Tzatziki! An Interview with Victoria Ziavras

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Meet the lovely Victoria Ziavras, a fourth-year dance and psychology major who has exciting plans for the future. When she isn’t choreographing new dance pieces, her head is buried in a psychology textbook…Most of the time being used as a pillow. You would be tired too if you had to wake up at 6 AM for early morning technique classes.

Why did you choose to major in dance and psychology?

I chose to do a double major in dance and psychology because my future plan is to open a dance studio and create a specialized program that will help children with special needs flourish in their physical and mental development using dance therapy and creative movement.

Who are the people who inspire you most? Why?

The two people who have always inspired me most in the world are my parents. They are always encouraging me to follow my heart and do what makes me happy. If it wasn’t for their constant support and strong unconditional love for me I would have never accomplished all the things I have over the years. It was them who constantly motivated me to follow my passion and pursue my dance career from a very young age and also believe in my interest in psychology. 

Although my parents are the most inspirational people in my life, my family and friends are also a huge part of what makes me who I am today. They have all made me a better person and for that I have so much love for everyone who has been there for me in the past, presents and also my future. 

Quote that you live by? 

“Everything happens for a reason.” Looking back on all of the things that didn’t go as planned in the past, I realized that they ended up teaching me so much about myself and opening up better opportunities. All of the negative events and struggles in my life taught me life lessons and allowed me to become a more independent person. I believe that life will throw you these challenges because you are strong enough to concur them and at the end of the day I have grown to love myself because of it.  I definitely live by this quote and I would challenge everyone to just let go of the negativity and see what better things await me.

If there was one thing you could go back and tell your first-year self what would it be?

If there was a chance to go back in time I would tell my first year self not to be afraid of being who you are. Surround yourself with people who appreciate the real you and love all the amazing things you have to offer. I would also tell myself not to be discouraged and to try new things and participate in activities that are out of your comfort zone. 

If you could drop everything and go somewhere right now where would it be?

If I could drop everything and go somewhere right now it would definitely be to go to Greece. I have a lot of family there and I miss them all very much. Also, my best friend and I have planned to go there for a long time now and it would be amazing to share that experience together. 

Where is your favourite place to hang out at York?

My favourite place to hang out at York would be the food court in York Lanes. After a long morning of dance classes that’s the first place I want to visit. I’m obsessed with bubble tea so I usually hit that up on my breaks. 

What is the most interesting thing you’ve learned during your time at york?

The most interesting thing I’ve learned from my time at York would be my potential as a student. Growing up school never came easy to me, but now that I am in my final year of university, I can’t believe how much progress I’ve made. I learned how to organize myself and prioritize my time a lot better. I have so many after school commitments and to be able to do it all and also focus on my studies is a rewarding feeling. 

What are you hoping to do after you graduate?

After I graduate from my undergrad program my plan is to apply to the education faculty so that I can one day become a teacher. Ever since I was a little girl I knew I wanted to become a teacher and know that I am finally here I want it more than anything. Also, my dream is to one day open my own dance company where I can share my passion with other eager artists. My goal is to create a specialized program for children who have special needs by giving them the best experience in a studio environment (using dance therapy as my approach.) 

Julia is a fourth-year undergraduate student studying Creative Writing and Psychology at York University, and to distract herself from thinking about the future, she spends her time writing and shopping impulsively. She is passionate about empowering young women, and through her contribution to HerCampus, she hopes she can encourage girls to celebrate who they are. You can usually find her in her bed or wandering around bakeries.
Hey! I'm Stephanie Wilcox, and I am a professional writing major here at York U! I spend most of my time playing piano or ukulele and crying over books and boybands. I'm currently studying Korean as an elective, and I hope to do plenty of travelling after I graduate. I believe in fighting for a better, safer, and more equal future, especially through words and writing. This is my third year at York University, and I am thrilled to begin writing with Her Campus this year as a CC and seeing the impact we will be making here!