Guide to Business Attires

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

As right now is the recruitment season, we’re all busy preparing for interviews and sometimes you may wonder – what attire is appropriate? Here are some tips to help you dress professionally for info sessions, interviews, etc.

Business Casual

From networking and information sessions to etiquette dinners, there are plenty of occasions where you’ll be expected to wear casual business attire. Business casual dress codes are usually expected as the minimum requirement, so if you ever question yourself of dressing down, opt for the dressier. Here are some ideas for some of you, who may be struggling to pick an outfit for your next business casual event.

Women

• Long or short sleeve
  • Casual dresses or skirts
  • Closed toe heels or flats

Men

• Shirts and sweaters with classy colors
  • Slacks or corduroy pants
  • Relaxed but elegant shoes

Business Professional

After you secure that interview through all the networking, it’s time for you to impress your future employer with a business professional outfit. Interviews, office visits, and career fairs are all occasions to dress your best to demonstrate that you’re suitable for the job. With the following standard items, you can never go wrong.

Women

• Conservative shirt with suit jacket
  • Skirt suit or pant suit
  • Closed toe heels or flats

Men

• Suit with tie
  • Dress pants with belt
  • Leather dress shoes

Brand Ideas

Some great brands to consider when you’re shopping for these outfits are: Banana Republic, J.Crew, and Club Monaco. These stores have a variety of fashionable business wear, not to mention their great quality. Don’t be shy and ask the sales associate for some tips on arranging your outfit; they tend to know how to kick it up a notch with a trendy item.

Of course, different companies may have different requests with your attire. But most importantly, dress to represent whom you are and be confident. Good luck to you all!

Image sources:http://sharpheels.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/formalbusiness-300×200.jpg