A Bright and Fiery Spirit: Farheen Abbas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Name: Farheen Abbas

Major and Graduating Year: Professional Writing, 2018

[IMG 1]

Hometown and Current Location: “The place I call home is a little town nestled in the granite valleys of Nottinghamshire, laden with emerald grass and morning sunlight which dances through the dewy meadows like gossamer, Mansfield is truly the epitome of English charm.

LOL JK, I’m from a town called Mansfield in England, which is great, but my current home in Ajax is way better!”

Hobbies: “My hobbies include baking, horse-back riding and hanging out with my goofball best friends. I’m a very outdoorsy person, so hiking, kayaking and going on long bike rides through Algonquin are some of my favourite things to do!:

Childhood Celebrity Crushes: “Will you all sigh and roll your eyes if I say Jesse McCartney? (Beautifuuuuul soul, yeah yeah yeah yeaaah)”

Any plans for the next school break? “I would love to say that I have some grand adventure planned, but no! I’d much rather make plans as I go along instead of planning beforehand. I will definitely be doing a lot of cooking and eating though!”

Any goals you’d like to achieve this year? “I would like to master the sorcery that is copy-editing (professional writing whut whut). Also I’m trying to become a more positive and calm person and focus less on the negatives and more on all the blessings that I have in my life! I want to let my loved ones know that they are important to me and want to give them my full attention- not just half heartedly listening whilst tweeting about the lame weather!

I used to be an avid reader until university kicked in (boo, hiss) so now I want to make more time for my own reading and reflection instead of reading up on everyone’s favourite Karl Marx.”

What was the best piece of relationship advice you’ve ever received? “My father told me (before I went up to get married) to ‘never let anyone else know you and your husband as well as you know each other, give them your face but not your heart.’ Which meant to keep your relationship between you and your S/O and if someone asks nosy questions then give them a truthful yet vague response – don’t reveal the private details of your life!!”

Favorite winter activities: “Hiking in the snow, skiing and cuddling up to loved ones next to the fire and a warm cup of hot chocolate! Adventure aside, one of my most favourite things to do in winter would be going out on a crisp, clear night to the beach and star-gazing, it’s truly one of the most beautiful things to do and makes you realise how big the universe really is.”

What food do you like to use to warm up during colder seasons? “I love spicy food in winter- it warms me right up! Also I love cinnamon flavoured everything because it reminds me of Christmas time in England, when me and my friends would stroll around the Town Centre whilst eating freshly baked cinnamon pastries!”

Do you ever get a case of the winter blues? If so, how to deal with your winter blues? “I believe in God, so whenever I am feeling down I enjoy reading about God and His love and mercy – it makes me feel very connected to Him and a lot more hopeful and content. Also, I Skype my friends or call my parents. I also go out for a brisk walk or take a long shower!”

Hey! I'm Stephanie Wilcox, and I am a professional writing major here at York U! I spend most of my time playing piano or ukulele and crying over books and boybands. I'm currently studying Korean as an elective, and I hope to do plenty of travelling after I graduate. I believe in fighting for a better, safer, and more equal future, especially through words and writing. This is my third year at York University, and I am thrilled to begin writing with Her Campus this year as a CC and seeing the impact we will be making here!