This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

As the weather gets colder, there’s nothing better than going to your favourite coffee shop and reading a book as an escape when school gets a little too overwhelming. I personally love getting book recommendations from fellow books lovers — especially books that I can’t put down till I finish them. So here is my list of  five book recommendations you should add to your reading list this November!  

The Light We Lost by Jill Santopolo

This story follows Jill and Gabe through their meeting on the tragic day of September 11th, 2001, and everything that follows after that for them. You go through many life stages with the two characters, watching them grow and develop.  The Light We Lost tells a beautiful story about the love you can’t seem to fully let go of. This book is a page turner and is a wonderful read for anyone who is a hopeless romantic. 

The Paper Palace by Miranda Cowley Heller

If you enjoyed Where the Crawdads Sing, you will love Miranda Cowley Heller’s story The Paper Palace. Having grown up in New York myself, this story now has a special place in my heart. It’s set in Cape Cod, where I spent my childhood summers. I fell in love with this story for the emotions it triggered and thoughts it left me with. Heller has almost a poetic way of writing. Despite the heavy subject matter, she successfully depicts the internal struggles the main character feels. This is a book that will leave you thinking and filled with so many different emotions. 

Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid

It is difficult to label one book as your favorite book but After reading Daisy Jones & The Six, I have labelled this one as my current favorite book. This book is set up as an interview among a broken up band from the 70s, asking about their time together. Every  book by Taylor Jenkins I have read has been breathtaking. Her dialogue flows in such a realistic and effortless way that you forget these aren’t actual people. Even though I chose to put Daisy Jones & The Six on this list, any of  TJR’s books would be amazing reads to put on your reading list. 

It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover 

It Ends With Us was a book I was initially nervous to read due to all the hype I had heard about it, however, it ended up living up to everything promised! This story follows Lily, a young college graduate, through current times with flashbacks to the past to tell a story about her struggles, finding love, and herself. This beautiful story has pushed me to want to read the many other stories Hoover has written.  

One Day in December by Josie Silver

One Day in December is a book to get you in the winter mood. It’s love at first sight, which will have you rooting for the two main characters’ love story. This book is a quick page turning read and surely an enjoyable one. 

Whether you pick to read one of these books or all five, enjoy the stories and the lives of the characters they contain. Happy reading!  

Amelia is originally from New York and moved to Toronto to attend York University. She is in her final year of obtaining a degree in Psychology and plans to go on to pursuing her teaching degree next. Among Amelia's passion for writing, she is also a coffee lover who will pet any dog she sees.