This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at YCP chapter.

Hello lovelies.

In lieu of the politics occurring in our country, I decided to inform you on something very, very interesting. Well, I think it’s interesting and maybe eye-opening for you who may not be as informed.

We are currently involved with the “War on Terror” against islamic extremist groups, but we are not actually at war. You see, the only way this country can be at war is if Congress declares war (as per article one section eight of the constitution).

“So we’re not actually at war right now?”

No. We are not at war with anyone right now.

While Congress is the only one who can declare war, that does not mean the POTUS (President of the United States) can’t use troops. In fact, POTUS can send troops to other countries for 90 days and that’s it. The United States can also engage in extended military combat with authorization by Congress, which is why troops were sent into Iraq and Afghanistan by George W. Bush after the destruction of the Twin Towers. That’s not all: what can also occur are military engagements authorized by United Nations Security Council Resolutions funded by Congress. An example of this is when troops were sent in by Obama in 2011 to help with the Libyan Civil War.

Many Americans are aware that troops are in Iraq and Afghanistan, but many Americans are not aware of the fact that we are currently bombing 7 countries while not being formally at war with any one of them.

“So what countries are we bombing?”

Currently, the United States is bombing:

Iraq

Afghanistan

Pakistan

Syria

Libya

Yemen

Somalia

“So why are we bombing them?”

Good question, we are bombing them because of terrorist networks such as al-Qaeda, ISIS, and al Shabaab that are located in these middle eastern countries. Since these networks are not found in one specific country, but are located in several different countries, it can be a little difficult to track them down.

“So why do people think we are at war?”

People think we are at war because we have troops in foreign countries, and while we may not be at war that does not mean Congress hasn’t authorized troops to be stationed elsewhere. We have conflict with terrorist organizations,and because of that conflict Congress has allowed for the military to intervene.

One more thing: while most bombings are intended for enemies, the bombs that are dropped on these countries actually strike civilians. It’s not that the bombs are intended for civilians, it’s that the ones who are being targeted are hiding in schools or hospitals.

It’s not that we are intentionally bombing civilians, it’s that in ‘war,’ the most good affects the most people. By that logic, it is permissible to kill innocents for the sake of protecting other people.

The United States isn’t perfect, but it’s our home. It’s better to be informed about what our country is doing rather than stay uninformed and proclaim to be part of the best nation and not know what’s going on.

Stay Classy. Or Not. Your Choice.

But do stay informed.

Damaris here! I'm an English major with a Psychology minor