NEVER FORGET, BUT ALWAYS LOVE

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at YCP chapter.

NEVER FORGET, BUT ALWAYS LOVE — A Life’s Journey: Born from a Congo Man’s Sorrow & Tragedy to One of Humanity & Love

On March 14 one of YCP’s students held a lecture in Harrisburg, PA talking about his struggle coming from the Congo to America. The lecture took place in Midtown Scholar Bookstore at 3 p.m.

Makaya Revell came to the United States at the age of 16 when he was fleeing the Civil War in The Democratic Republic of the Congo. Both his father and 8-year-old brother were killed. After many emotional and some physical struggles, Revell was adopted and has now been living with his two parents Drs. Elizabeth and Alvin Revell since 2006.

Since then Revelll has created the Marie Mambu Makaya foundation, named after his mother who was later killed in the Congo while he was in America. This foundation is building an orphanage in the Congo where children can have a safe place to stay, food, and education.

“Makaya is such a sweetheart and so brave. He’s so positive despite everything he’s been through. I could never do that,” Rachel Lessing said after the lecture on Saturday.

If you would like to learn more about Makaya Revell’s story or donate to his organization, you can find more information here at his website:

http://www.makayafoundation.org/

Dog enthusiast, nap queen, coffee (not tea) drinker, I’m a five-year senior at York College of PA with a major in professionla writing and a minor in English literary studies. I spend my time reading, petting my polydactyl cat, Scooby-Doo, and bugging my boyfriend constantly. In the next few years I’ll (hopefully) be hired as an editor for a book publishing company. Right now I have three jobs because I’m a poor college student, but hopefully one day our government will actually work.
Caitlyn Colgan is a Junior Public Relations major at York College of Pa. She also have a minor in Musical Theater  She is a sister of the Phi Eta chapter of Phi Mu. She loves theater a little too much and spends almost all of her time dancing, singing and acting.