Kathleen’s Take On: Staying On Campus Over Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at YCP chapter.

First of all, WELCOME BACK EVERYONE! I hope all of you had great Holiday breaks and got some rest while away from YCP. I hope you all are ready to be back here with friends and hopefully you are ready to get back to your education (I know it is cheesy, but it is true in a sense, at least for me… I get bored).  I did end up going home, but not for as long as I intended. Me being myself, I decided to procrastinate on my Senior Thesis project, so I got to stay here on the beautiful YCP campus during most of break. If you are planning on procrastinating your Senior research/project, I highly recommend not to, I have reached new stress levels that I never knew were possible. So do not do it! Wait a minute while I put away put away my soap box.

Let me tell you, being on campus during break is completely different than being here during the semester. There was nobody here, like nobody. I both liked the privacy and hated it. I just want you to let you know that this campus comes alive when all of you come back. The residence hall was quiet, which was nice, but it was weird when I first heard different people coming back for various reasons, I thought that the place was haunted, but then I remembered I did not live here alone. The residence hall became my second home almost, I was so excited to come back and cook for myself. I even got some kind of joy from cleaning my room in my freetime, which was a weird thing for me to feel, because I despise cleaning.

During the break I worked on collecting data for my research and working for the Biology department. I did odd and end jobs cleaning labs and prepping them for the next semester, it was not really hard, just tedious. Unfortunately my break was not super fun, but I went out with friends, celebrated my birthday and even got to start volunteering again. I think this break taught me that I do not have to have a world stopping adventure to be happy. It honestly was the little things that kept me content along the way, the fact that I did not need to wear a coat some days because it was warm or that I could park on Main campus without worrying about getting a ticket (which was awesome) or possibly it could have been the amazing parking spot I got every single day while the rest of the campus dwellers were gone. It was right in front of my building and I claimed it as my own. I still look down on it from the 4th floor and see someone else’s car there and I get territorial… What can I say, I have issues?

This issues may stem from the fact that I am in my last semester here at YCP. This school has become a place I call home where all of my friends basically became family. I am apprehensive for this year to be over, because I am still not sure what the future is holding for me, and I can just hope that it is something great that I love.I know I have not been writing long for HerCampus (about a semester), but thank you for taking this weird literary journey with me into my future. Oh and welcome back again everyone, I am glad you are here!

–Kathyl

Hey!  My name is Kathleen and I am a senior Biology major at York College of Pennsylvania. I am from a little town in Pennsylvania called Lititz. If you can't find me on a nice day, I will probably be found wandering a local trail. I am a huge nerd and I love being involved in the biological sciences. I try to be as green as possible, while being poor (as many of us college students are). I started writing for HerCampus, because I think I could add a different perspective to some popular issues surrounding college campuses. Happy browsing!  ~ Kathyl