ekaterina shevchenko ZLTlHeKbh04 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ekaterina shevchenko ZLTlHeKbh04 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Holiday Gifts on a Tight Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at YCP chapter.

Not having a lot of money doesn’t mean that you can’t get your friends and family great gifts for the holiday season! Instead of stressing about holiday gifts, check out these ideas that you can do yourself, and cost next to nothing!

Finger-Knit Scarves

Finger knitting is the new rage! It’s so easy to make homemade scarves in 30 minutes or less! Check out YouTube for a good tutorial and try it out! Try out different colors and patterns to make each scarf completely unique. It’s so nice receiving something that was handmade, because you know a lot of hard work went into it!

Snow Globe

Grab a mason jar from your local craft store, a picture of yourself, some glitter and just add water! Cover the picture with clear tape so the water doesn’t harm it. I was able to find a picture of my brother and I and got it laminated, but you can fake it by putting tape over both sides of the photo and then cutting it out. Attach it to the underside of the Mason jar lid, add water to the jar itself, add the glitter to the water, and attach the lid! You will then have a homemade snow globe of the two of you to remind them of all of the great times you’ve spent together! 

Homemade Lip-Gloss

Everyone loves having lip-gloss on hand, especially because the holidays are peak season for dry lips. Take 1 cup of Vaseline and microwave it in 30-second intervals until it is completely liquid. Once it is liquefied, take an entire packet of Kool-Aid crystals (any flavor will do), and mix it with the liquid Vaseline. Once mixed in, pour the mixture into small pods, where the lip-gloss will harden, and you’re done! Craft stores often have small pods for cheap, and many stores have coupons online that will save you even more money!

Cozy Mug

Get a simple mug from the dollar store or an antique mug from a local thrift store, and simply wrap up some cookies, put them in the mug, and tie a bow around it! Everyone loves cookies, and the mug will just be an added bonus! If you don’t have time to make cookies, put in some hot chocolate mix, a small bag of marshmallows, and a candy cane. My mom always called it snowman soup, and it’s my favorite around the holidays, it’s perfect for anyone that you need a quick gift for!

If you want to customize the mug, write on it with a permanent marker (name, initials, drawings, etc.) and bake it in the oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, the marker will bake on so it won’t wash off. Or, just simply customize a mug and tie a bow on it for a quick gift idea. 

Tight budgets are the real Scrooge around the holidays, but hopefully these gift ideas are sure to be some to remember! Let us know what you’ve done for gifts on a tight budget!

Stephanie is a Senior Professional Writing major at York College of Pennsylvania. She is a York College cheerleader; so she also likes big bows, and she can not lie.