Growing Up Is Hard To Do

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at YCP chapter.

Once you enter college, time flies by. People will tell you this, but until you’re in this situation, it’s kind of hard to believe. But…IT’S THE TRUTH! Freshman and sophomore year may go by slow, but your junior year will feel like this tiny step before you hit the real world.

In a year, you’ll be graduating college. Some will have jobs lined up; others may be lost in what they want to do with the rest of their lives. It’s a tough decision. How does one know that what they are majoring in will satisfy them for the rest of their lives?

But don’t panic. It is okay to not know what you want to do. You may jump from job to job before landing in the job you’ll love – and it may not even be what you majored in.

A 2015 article in Forbes announced that the average tenure of a Millennial employee is two years. Our generation is known for jumping from place to place. It’s a great way to gain experience and make connections in the business. But the most important thing is getting your foot in the door.

Growing up is a fascinating process. Nostalgia is the most common thing I found, for myself, growing up. Every now and then, I look back on my childhood and wish I was back there. A time of innocence and no worries. Food and Disney movies were my main concern – in a way, they still are. Of course, I get sad thinking about those simpler times. But growing up isn’t so bad.

With age comes, hopefully, wisdom and great experiences. You travel and meet new people, maybe create long-lasting and/or long-distance relationships. When you hit your 20’s, life will seem scary. But it’ll also make you feel fresh and renewed with all the possibilities waiting for you.

There are a couple of women in my family that I truly look up to. Two of them are my cousins who have LIVED! Almost every week, I see a picture of them hanging out in another state, travelling the world, and just living their lives. They “served their time” in college and are reaping the rewards. Each one has a full life and I love them for showing me that you don’t have to accept society’s image of what a young woman just out of college should be like.

Even my mother – she is the main person who has pushed me to pursue my dreams, as well my brother and our cousins.The one thing she always tells us is “The world is bigger than [insert city]!” She is another woman who I look up to. Always pushing me to be strong, challenging, and to travel when I can. To her, I thank her for all the life lessons and hope to make her proud.

So in conclusion, growing up can be tough. Sometimes it feels like life is just passing you by, especially when you’re studying and everyone and their mother on your social media is travelling from place to place – but your time will come. Yes, you’ll feel sad and scared at times, but every adult gets like that. It isn’t the end of the world. After graduation, that’s when your true life begins! Embrace it!

A Senior at York College of Pennsylvania, majoring in Political Science. I am a Gemini, I love the color green, reading and writing! I am so excited to be able to write for Her Campus. I hope to inspire and/or entertain all who read my articles!