6 Reasons to Have Coconut Oil

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at YCP chapter.

Over the past couple of years, coconut oil has become an extremely popular. The use of coconut oil ranges from cooking to beauty and I’m going to tell you why you need coconut oil yourself!

1. Hair Mask

I put coconut oil in my hair for about 20-30 minutes before I shower and I make sure to comb it through so the oil spreads everywhere. Once it’s in for the amount of time I want, I just shampoo and condition like normally. Coconut oil makes my hair feel so soft and gives it this fabulous shine. It also helps with hair growth and prevents breakage and split ends.

1. Makeup remover

Putting a little of the oil onto a tissue is a simple easy way to remove my makeup. It is gentle on my skin and doesn’t leave it red or irritated. The oil traps all the makeup that was on your face leaving no residue behind.

1. Dry Skin

During the winter time especially, dry skin is sometimes inevitable. When your skin is dry and cracked sometimes it feels like lotion just isn’t helping. Coconut oil is great at repairing extremely dry skin and keeping that moisture locked.

1. Fights Frizz

Sometimes when you wake up, the weather isn’t always cooperative with your hair. On those extra frizzy days, I take a very small amount of coconut oil and rub it in my hands and gentle rub my hands over my hair. You don’t want to put too much oil because you don’t want your hair to look greasy but getting rid of that frizz is always a plus.

1. Shaving Cream Substitute

If you ever realize you ran out of shaving cream and you really wanted to wear that cute dress you just bought just use coconut oil! It’s gentle on your skin and also moisturizes while helping fight those razor bumps that you just hate.

1. Makeup Brush Cleaner

Sounds strange doesn’t it? But actually if you heat up coconut oil into a liquid you will be able to clean your makeup brushes in no time! Have the liquid oil in a cup and just dip the tip of your brushes in and swirl it around to make sure that all the product on the brush is being taken away. When you’re finished, run the brush under warm water and dry them clean! Now you have clean product-free brushes!

Coconut oil is amazing for so many reason and there are so many more uses for it then I have listed here. If you don’t have coconut oil, I suggest going out and buying some because once you have it, you will have no idea how you ever lived without it.

I'm Jen and I'm a sophomore nursing major at YCP. I'm from Jersey and I love fashion, my dog, Harry Potter, giraffes, and singing in the shower.