Travis Hutchinson ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Yale chapter.

Name: Travis Hutchinson

Hometown: Brooklyn, New York

College: Timothy Dwight

Year: 2015

Ladies, after reading this interview, you might find yourself wanting to make that dreaded trek all the way to TD.  It may be far from home, but it’s worth your while  just to snag a moment with Mr. Travis Hutchinson,  one of the contestants for 2015’s Mr. Campus Freshman.

I had heard good things already, but nothing could have prepared me for the suave, gentlemanly experience I had within our first thirty seconds of meeting.  

We planned to find each other at Blue State on Wall and I, per usual, was running a bit late.  I sprinted in to be greeted by a tall, handsome boy handing me a steaming cup of good ol’ Blue State coffee.  Now this is customer service, I thought.  Then I realized that, no, this wasn’t an eager-to-please employee–even better–it was the chivalric T-Hutch, and my very own knight in shining armor.  They don’t make boys like this anymore, girls.

HC: How do you like it at Yale so far?

TH: People here are amazing.  They make me feel bad about myself, but I love them anyway.  I’ve never been able to have such a great time out with friends and then come home and talk for hours about actual…things.  You know, issues, picking things apart, analyzing them.  It’s great here.

HC: What is your favorite space on campus?

TH: The School of Forestry, top floor.  It’s a quiet space where you can meet a lot of cool undergrads and grad students.  I’ve gotten a lot of good work done there and had a lot of amazing conversations.

HC: What sort of organizations are you involved with so far?

TH: BMU (Black Men’s Union) and FCC.  I’m having a lot of fun in both.  They both have great people, great objectives.

HC: Where is your go-to-go-out place?

TH: I’m still figuring that out.  I really like going out, seeing what’s happening, and heading back home for some food and conversation.  That’s my ideal night.  I wish people danced more, though.  I love dancing.

HC: You stumble into Gourmet Heaven at two in the morning.  Where do you head?

TH: The sandwiches.  Chicken cutlet sandwich, the usual.  I have yet to try out their sandwich menu.  I’m excited about it.

HC: What is your favorite food?

TH: My Mom’s vegetarian lasagna!  I’m not a vegetarian – well, I had to stop once I started getting really into football, but I still love that lasagna.  I can’t wait to go home and have it over break.

HC: What are you looking for in a lady?

TH: Personality.  She can be gorgeous, but if she doesn’t have that spunk, I’m not interested.  Obviously, it wouldn’t hurt if she were cute, but that’s not my number one priority.

HC: How do you feel about the ladies at Yale?

TH: I was pleasantly surprised when I got here!  There are so many smart, interesting, and attractive women here.  It’s a bit intimidating.

HC: What do you see yourself doing after graduating?

TH: I honestly don’t know.  I like humanities, but my family wants me to do something more math-and-science.  I mean, it’s not like they are going to force me to do anything, but it’s hard having that pressure.  I just want to help people.

HC: Elaborate.

TH: Here we go.  I know it sounds generic, but I want to directly benefit people, not myself.  I want to solve problems…anywhere.  I hated seeing, back home, the disparity between socioeconomic classes and minorities.  I would probably focus on Brooklyn or Nigeria, if I had to pick somewhere right now.

HC: What is your spirit animal?

TH: Merman.  Is that an animal?  Definitely a merman.

HC: Last question, very important: what is your favorite color, and why?

TH: Oo, that’s tough.  Dark purple.  It’s a color that evokes a lot of emotion.  It covers a lot of emotions, too.  You can feel solemn, you can feel passion.  Dark purple sticks out, but blends into the background just as easily.  I just think it’s a sexy color.

Jackie is a junior Sociology major at Yale University with a concentration in Gender studies. As a southern California native, she loves the sun, Mexican food, frozen yogurt, freeways and friendly strangers. Jackie plans to test out the rest of her early 20's on the east coast, but knows she will ultimately find herself back in the Los Angeles area. She spent the first half of last summer as a fashion intern near her home north of Los Angeles and the second half studying abroad in Prague. While interning, Jackie renewed her love of the fashion industry culture and affirmed her interest in pursuing fashion publications as a career. She had the time of her life in Prague and traveling throughout Europe where she was referred to as everything from "gypsy woman" to "Pocahontas" for her bohemian tribal style. Her fashion icons are Kate Hudson and Jessica Szohr. At Yale, Jackie pitched for the varsity women's softball team before suffering an elbow injury this year. In her spare time, Jackie enjoys thrift store shopping, running, and gossiping with her mom. Some of her obsessions include Starbucks cinnamon dolce lattes, Free People, Guide Dogs of America, baseball (Go Dodgers!), John Mayer and family.