This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Yale chapter.

For a lot of us West Coasters or international students, flying home for Thanksgiving Break is simply not attainable. It’s ridiculously expensive, it takes a ton of time, and Thanksgiving Break is only about two and a half weeks before Winter Break. However, the prospect of staying at Yale for an entire week by yourself might sound daunting and sad. Fortunately, it doesn’t have to be. As someone who stayed at Yale last Thanksgiving break, here is what I recommend for making this week as happy, festive, and relaxing as possible!

1. Catch up on studying and paper-writing so reading period and finals can be as light and carefree as possible! 

2. Watch lots of movies and TV shows uninterrupted by the need to go anywhere or talk to anyone. Preferably with snacks. 

3. Make a point to leave your room at least once a day to breathe fresh air and take a walk. 

4. Call your friends and family, and do it often! Just because you aren’t home, it doesn’t mean you can’t feel like you are. Technology is amazing. 

5. If your residential is hosting a Thanksgiving meal, go to it! You’ll meet new friends and get some delicious food. Last year, I had some amazing conversations AND pumpkin pie. 

6. Use the dining hall as much as you can while it’s still open. Stock up on fruit, snacks, and basically whatever you can get your hands on for the few days that you’re on your own. 

7. Sing karaoke and/or dance in your common room, because there won’t be as many people around to hear or see you.

8. People watch while drinking coffee at one of New Haven’s many coffee shops. Experience what New Haven is like when students aren’t around. 

9. Go to New York for the day. Try to go with a new friend if you can! It was the highlight of my Thanksgiving Break last year.

10. Order pizza and garlic bread on Thanksgiving night and eat it by yourself on your common room floor while listening to your favorite music. This is a tried and true hack for making your break literally perfect. 

Remember— although Yale may seem empty over break, there are hundreds of students around! Talk to people you see around your residential college. Breathe in the sights and sounds of a peaceful city. Think about what you’re grateful for. Happy Thanksgiving Break, everybody!

Shannon Linder is a senior English major at Yale University from the Pacific Northwest. On campus, you’ll find her performing and choreographing for a campus dance group, singing karaoke with friends, or planning her next outdoor adventure.
Emma Gray

Yale '21

My name is Emma Gray and I am the President and Campus Correspondent for Yale's Her Campus chapter. I am a Sophomore in Saybrook and I am planning on majoring in European History. I am passionate about universal health education and about criminal justice reform. In my free time I love going to the Yale Center for British Art and watching The Office. I am excited to start working with our new team!