Springing Into Yale

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Yale chapter.

After weeks of dragging ourselves through exams, papers, and presentations, we finally emerged from the traumatizing period we call midterm season and have shifted gears into relaxation mode. While some are traipsing through Europe visiting friends abroad, and others are traveling to South Beach in true “spring break” style, it’s hard to think ahead two weeks to the day our rest period ends.

Nevertheless, the day will inevitably come and we will be forced to readjust to school and homework. Fear not…there is no reason to dread this return! Here are five reasons to look forward to Spring at Yale:

1. SPRING FLING:

An annual event during which students ignore their impending finals doom, listen to the performances of various headliners (here we go Macklemore!), and don neon tanks repping various organizations, Spring Fling is one of those not-to-be-missed events on campus—forget the 15 page paper I have due the day before…or the 12 pager due the day after. On April 30th Fling will have 100% of my attention.

2. FORMAL EVENTS:

‘Tis the season for Yale formal events. Between college and greek-life formals, our Yale gives us a lot of reasons to dress up for a night!

3. COLLEGE DAYS:

Another way to enjoy the sun—the student activities committees of most colleges organize carnival-esque days to celebrate the end of classes. They bring in moon bounces, tasty foods and college gear to generate a feeling of college unity and increase student morale. Think JE’s Spring Awakening, TD’s DDDDay, and Calhoun’s Houn Fest!

4. STUDY BREAKS

Yale loves their Yalies and one way the school expresses its love is through myriad study breaks. Sure, the free food is always a draw, but other types of activity-based study breaks excite students in different ways. JE annually throws a liquid nitrogen night in which graduate fellows assist students in mixing chemicals to create ice cream. Last year the Yale College Council organized a puppy afternoon in which Yale-affiliates brought dogs to cross campus to interact with students. Other activity-based study breaks included a “petting-zoo experience” and a day of “sweets and massages.”

5. FRESHMAN OLYMPICS

At the end of the year, all of the freshmen will compete for the Tyng Cup at the annual Freshman Olympics- complete with dance-offs, fashion shows, and frisbee (for anyone not athletically inclined). After showing your college pride, you can grab a snack from the BBQ or the Ice Cream stands and picnic with your friends on Old Campus!

6. Most important of all…SUNSHINE!

Perhaps it’s difficult to picture the day we see grass again—after all, the day most of us departed from Yale, a fresh layer of white snow blanketed all college courtyards. Yet, our return from Spring Break typically marks the end of snow banks on the streets. Think ahead to all the barbeques that will inevitably take place on Old Campus, naps that will ensue on college hammocks, and meals that can be eaten outside!