Robby Harder ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Yale chapter.

This week’s campus cutie, Robby, is a Saybrook sophomore on the swim team and a member of SAE. Last week, when Robby and I met up for the Campus Cutie interview, we both decided on froyo over coffee (despite the bone-chilling temperature outside). The self-proclaimed “candy fiend” and I went crazy with the toppings and then sat down for our interview.

Year: 2015

Hometown: Redding

Major: Economics

College: Saybrook (“The best college!”)

Favorite late night snack?

Something sour, like Sour Patch Kids.

Guilty Pleasure?

I’m not really guilty about anything. I’m a candy fiend, but I don’t feel guilty about that at all!

Favorite TV Show?

30 Rock and It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I think I’ve seen every episode of 30 Rock. I was obsessed with it this summer. Tina Fey is the best!

Nicknames?

I don’t really have any except Robby

(His real name is Robert)

Interesting fact?

I lived in London for two years.

What actor would play you in a movie about your life?

Good question…Matt Damon!

Your family is moving to Australia, what are you most excited about when you get there?

I’m trying to work there this summer, and Keith Urban and Nicole Kidman live in the penthouse of the apartment building where my parents live, so I’m hoping I’ll run into them.

What do you want to do after you graduate?

Something with banking– equity stuff– but I’m not really sure where.

What’s the best thing about being on the swim team at Yale?

Definitely not morning practice, having a close bond with all the other guys who do the same things as you.

What do you do when you’re not swimming or in class?

Sleep a decent amount, and normally just hang out with SAE, at the swim house or with people in Saybrook.

Last year you competed in the Ivy League Championships with your team, and you did really well in your races- what was the best part of that competition?

The freshman all did really well (Class of 2015), we set a bunch of records and got high places. It was great for transitioning and building the team.

What weird traditions do you have on the swim team?

This isn’t a tradition, but the other day twenty of us got stuck in the elevator of Payne Whitney. We were stuck in the basement for like ten minutes and then when the police finally came and opened the elevator doors, twenty guys in speedos came out., it was definitely weird.

What’s your favorite thing about being in SAE?

It’s great to have a big group of friends. Everyone has different interests, but they all are connected by SAE. Because everyone is involved in something different, it allows you to branch out.

Funniest pick up line at a party?

I don’t use pick up lines, but if I did I would probably just change a classic to make it unexpected. I’d ask something like, “how much does a polar bear weigh?”…and then just go the opposite way with the joke… I can’t remember the last time I used a pick up line though.

And finally, Yale girls are the best because…

They all have something about them– there is something cool about every girl at Yale. Everyone has a reason for being here, something that makes them unique and special, everyone has substance.