Spices
Spices
Christin Urso / Spoon

My kind of Spice Girls: Cooking edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Yale chapter.

I get to see my Spice Girls every day. Ginger Spice, you look stunning as always! Oh, I don’t mean the amazing pop group (not this time). But these spices will create a harmony of flavors that will pop out. Cayenne, garlic powder, paprika, cumin, and onion powder: these are my kind of Spice Girls. Spices are low in calories, they add a much-needed flavor, and they truly transform dishes. My Spice Girls are my secret weapon for concocting an explosive song of flavors.  

Whole vs Ground spices?

Dried spices are extremely easy to keep on hand, and you can buy them year-round at your local grocery store. You can even ground your own spices, which can help retain a lot more of its flavor than ground spices. I don’t usually get spices whole and just buy them. 

Spices vs. herbs? Aren’t they the same? 

I thought they were the same too since both terms are used so interchangeably. Spices and herbs are actually different. However, they have a lot of the same functions. Spices and herbs come from different sections of a plant and are processed in different ways. Common herbs that I love to use include basil, oregano, and thyme. These all come from the leafy parts of the plant and are considered aromatic leaves. However, spices like anise and cinnamon come from the seeds or the dried root. Now in my cabinet, I have my Spice Girls and Phineas and Herbs. 

So where do I get these spices? 

I usually get most of my spices from Trader Joe’s or any grocery store nearby. You can also check your local farmer’s market for spices and herbs. I don’t see spices at farmers’ markets a ton, but you can buy an herb plant (like a basil plant), which is quite common. If you can, I highly suggest going to an ethnic market to buy spices because it is usually more authentic, better quality, and can be cheaper. Definitely try going to an Indian Market because the myriad of spices will excite you! 

And, even though spices can add up in price, they are a great investment because they will last you for a long time. Now that you have your spices, get ready to spice up your life!

The best way to get familiar with spices is to try them. 

Literally. Take a tiny pinch of onion powder and try it. Emphasis on “take a pinch” since spices are strong (not trying to obliterate anyone’s taste buds). When writing this article, I stood in front of my spice cabinet, meticulously trying each one and decoding how to describe the distinct flavor (my mom asked if I was ok). Get a sense of what the spice tastes like and what kind of tones it has. Is it spicy? Is it salty? Savory? Of course, they aren’t going to taste that amazing in their singular form. However, spices can be hard to describe and the best way to understand is to try them. 

Once you get familiar with the spices decorating your cabinet, the next step is looking into spice combinations. What spices go together? And, in what ratios? 

My Five Spice Girls:

These are my must-have spices that I use all of the time. This was so hard to choose since each one is so unique; it’s like picking a favorite child (but harder obviously)

1. Garlic powder 
  2. Paprika 
  3. Cumin
  4. Vanilla 
  5. Cinnamon

Garlic powder can be used for anything in cooking. Parpika adds a peppery touch to any dish to give it a bit more flavor without the spiciness of Cayenne. Cumin is a unique flavor that reminds me of taco seasoning, but it is used all around the world. Vanilla and cinnamon are staples in baking. 

Honorable mentions

*I have added some dried herbs to this list since they are very common to have in your cabinet. I will put a star next to it if it is an herb. 

1. Bay Leaves*
  2. Black peppercorns 
  3. Cardamom 
  4. Chili powder 
  5. Cloves
  6. Cumin
  7. Curry Powder
  8. Dill* 
  9. Ground ginger
  10. Nutmeg 
  11. Onion powder 
  12. Oregano*
  13. Cayenne
  14. Red pepper flakes
  15. Rosemary* 
  16. Thyme*
  17. Turmeric
Spices
Christin Urso / Spoon
Maddie is the Yale's Campus Correspondent/ President. She is a physics and East Asian studies major. Passionate about all forms of creating, Maddie spends her time writing, drawing, and playing piano. With a multitude of hobbies, Maddie enjoys long distance running, reading, speed talking, jewelry making, and recipe writing. Fun fact: Maddie used to be a wedding calligrapher!